Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Red Taillight Indicator on Instrument Panel came on.
Stopped and checked.
All tail lights and signal are on and work fine.

Any suggestions on why light is on?

Thanks
ErnieB
87 1200i

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,322 Posts
Disconnect any aftermarket lights and check. If you still have a problem it may be something (a socket or plug) with some corrosion going on.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Ernie. The sensor light is also turned on by incorrect resistance in the brake light circuit as well. I'm not certain if the brakes actually have to be applied, or if the sensor just runs it's own little test. Check your brake lights for proper operation.
The power for the light goes to the bulb, and is grounded by the tail lamp sensor. It's possible the sensor is just junk and supplying a false ground.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies fellows. GLhonda-brake lights are the key. Hand brake-brake light come on. Foot brake-brake light not come on. Foot brake has a springed switch. Do I look for problem there?

Tail lamp sensor???

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
The switches will prevent the lights from working, but they won't cause the warning lamp to illuminate. Fix your foot brake concern.
There is a tail lamp/stop lamp sensor that monitors the resistance of the tail and brake bulbs. If it sees incorrect resistance due to a burned out bulb, it turns on the ground for the warning light. It's behind the starter relay. Nine pin connector with seven wires.
Make sure all your brake lights are working, at the same brilliance.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,322 Posts
Easy fix on that rear brake switch, just clean it. But, as GL said, it won't cause the light dash to come on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.