Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use any thoughts on how to look for this issue... I ride 50 miles up to a stop light and my 86 GL1200i dies out (i mean just dies..). Press starter button no response, no click from solonoid. push bike off to side... battery is dead. Change battery out, turn key on ,press starter button, no click, no nothing.... jump solonoid and bike starts up so I ride it home (3miles). Take volt meter and check voltage before turning bike off running 11.4 volts. The bike has been charging at 13.2 the day before. Turn bike off change solonoid out. Try to restart,no click from solomoid. Can jump solonoid and start. Turn key off and for the heck of it press starter button... marker lights light up when I press the starter button!
Background - The stator has been replaced in 2011, the three yellow wires are soldered (plug removed) the battery is brand new. Thought I had charging problem but up until this issue the voltage showed charging when running. How do I check if I have a voltage regulator issue? Can anyone suggest where to start with this ..... Thanks in advance... Mark

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Mine did something similar, and it turned out to be a melted starter button switch. I never figured out what caused it, but that little button is where the headlight gets disconnected temporarily for starting. It depends on exactly the form of the little contacts in there after melting, as to what the actual symptoms will be. Also consider the ignition switch, as the flat fours seem to have a mild reputation for problems there, too, as they age.

:waving:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update.. I had one of the two solonoid wires caddy cornered vs next to each other. Took care of the starter button issue but still have charging issue. Going to do the checks on the stator to see if it has failed again.....would rather have regulator issue, easier to fix..

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
your issue could start at the stator connector,or the regulator connector or the solenoid connector

would bet that your reg connector or solenoid connector is a problem,but since you can jump the solenoid would almost bet the problem is the solenoid connector is burnt up and your battery is not getting a charge from the regulator

if the stator connector has been hardwired you can make your stator test if you disconnect the regulator connector and test on the stator side of the connector (yellow wires)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks neoracer, the stator is hard wired and I didn't think about testing from that connection. Saved me from cutting the hardware connection. Going to check that tomorrow..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next update - tested stator and got correct voltages and and no grounding issues. Pulled out the voltage regulator and lo and belhold the wires on the regulator itself were melted behind the regulator. Shorted out the regulator. New regulator should arrive in a day or two and I hope to be back up and riding!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.