Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, back with a new question. About a week ago, I noticed that my digital voltage gage started reading lower, 12.9 volts at 2600 rpm and as low as 11.4 volts at idle. I had just rode through some very heavy rain for about one hour and thought that the voltage gage had maybe gotten water or at least moisture in it. I checked it over and found nothing. I then checked the the voltage at the battery terminals while the bike was running at idle and found it to be around 12 volts, and 13.4 volts at 2600 rpm. While at the battery I noticed that the electrical plug to the left of the battery, the one with three yellow wires running to it, had started to melt. I proceeded to cut the wires and soldered them together eliminating the plug. I am now experiencing a rough idle and a light ticking from the bottom of the engine. My question, one, would the melted plug cause the low reading on my voltage gage, two, does it matter which yellow wire goes with which yellow wire when I soldered them together as I just randomly put them together, and three, could this be causing my rough idle and ticking as I hadn't experienced it befor removing the melted electrical plug.

Thanks in advance as always.

Clubby

86 Blue Aspy

Without a wing, you don't have a prayer!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

clubby wrote:
Hi all, back with a new question. About a week ago, I noticed that my digital voltage gage started reading lower, 12.9 volts at 2600 rpm and as low as 11.4 volts at idle. I had just rode through some very heavy rain for about one hour and thought that the voltage gage had maybe gotten water or at least moisture in it. I checked it over and found nothing. I then checked the the voltage at the battery terminals while the bike was running at idle and found it to be around 12 volts, and 13.4 volts at 2600 rpm. While at the battery I noticed that the electrical plug to the left of the battery, the one with three yellow wires running to it, had started to melt. I proceeded to cut the wires and soldered them together eliminating the plug. I am now experiencing a rough idle and a light ticking from the bottom of the engine. My question, one, would the melted plug cause the low reading on my voltage gage, two, does it matter which yellow wire goes with which yellow wire when I soldered them together as I just randomly put them together, and three, could this be causing my rough idle and ticking as I hadn't experienced it befor removing the melted electrical plug.
Clubby, YES, that melted connector could very easily have caused your low voltage.. That rain water could have effected the resistance & caused it to finally fail..

It doesn't really mater what rear yellow wire is soldered to what front yellow wire as long as each yellow wire exiting the rear of the engine runs intact to the voltage regulator & doesn't electrically touch any ofthe other yellow wires.

Look for water in the spark plug depressions, or water in the fuel or other problems on the rough idle.. Same with the ticking, that isn't caused by your wire repair.

Have you re-checked the battery voltage since the repair? If that is still low it could cause a poor idle & or poor running.

Maybe ride it some more & see if the idle straightens out..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks twisty, didn't think that was causing the problem but wasen't sure. Took the bike for a ride this evening and idle and ticking seem to be fine now.Bike volte meter still seems to be reading low but my ohm meter tells me that I am getting over 12 volts at idle and around 14 volts at 3000 rpm so I think that the problem is with the bike volte meter. Will give it some time to dry out and see what happens.

Thanks as always

Clubby

P.S. Always good to get a second opinion.

86 Blue Aspy

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

clubby wrote:
Thanks twisty, didn't think that was causing the problem but wasen't sure. Took the bike for a ride this evening and idle and ticking seem to be fine now.Bike volte meter still seems to be reading low but my ohm meter tells me that I am getting over 12 volts at idle and around 14 volts at 3000 rpm so I think that the problem is with the bike volte meter. Will give it some time to dry out and see what happens.

Thanks as always

Clubby

P.S. Always good to get a second opinion.

86 Blue Aspy

Clubby, take your voltmeter & monitor the (+) & (-) screws at the very front of your fuse box... If that shows about the same as your on-bike voltmeter then your on-bike meter is working OK but the place in the system wherethe bike's voltmeter gets it's voltagereading is running low, probably due to oxidised fuses, or dirty harness wire connectors, or poor wire connections.. Low main harness voltage is not uncommon in the older Wings due to corrosion or oxidation so there are some systemsupplemental by-pass harness products offered to install to correct that problem..

It might not hurt to check your ignition coil's supply voltage while running down the road & if much lower than battery voltage it might be time to either clean the all the wire connections & check the ign switch for excess resistance or install a by-pass type harness..

Just for information: On my personal Wing I use a small micro relay & wire the voltmeter directly to the battery with the relay coming on with the ign switch. That way I see TRUE battery voltage..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Will do twisty, thanks again.

Clubby

86 Aspy

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Clubby,my onboard volt gauge was reading low too. Cruising at 65 mph, the gauge would read around 13.9 to 14.2. I hooked a DVM to the battery and run it where I could see it while going down the road. The DVM was reading 15.3 when the onboard gauge was reading 14.2.

Just yesterday, I installed the E.C. Stator Harness. There is a relay that goes up under the false tank. I tapped off of the relay (the switched side) and ran it to the + onmy onboard gauge. I then run a good ground to the onboard gauge. Now, cruising at 65, my onboard gauge reads 15.3 volts. Sitting at a traffic light and at an idle, (1040 rpm) it will read around 14.0 volts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.