Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi everyone,

(Yes, I did search for answers on this but there is no direct comment on what I am asking..)
Not a critical issue here but has anyone installed aftermarket or hand-made heat deflectors on their gl1200 engine?

This summer was and still is a boiler on the legs. :12red:
:cooldevil:
If so, how successful was it and what they looked like after the install..

I know there is the wind deflectors for the fairing butI am thinking why not deflect the heat at the source instead of blending it..

Do the Baker wind wings help in this department just as well or is thee some handy work that needs to be done?

Thanks for your comments in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Mr. Fix it wrote:
Hi everyone,

(Yes, I did search for answers on this but there is no direct comment on what I am asking..)
Not a critical issue here but has anyone installed aftermarket or hand-made heat deflectors on their gl1200 engine?

This summer was and still is a boiler on the legs. :12red:
:cooldevil:
If so, how successful was it and what they looked like after the install..

I know there is the wind deflectors for the fairing butI am thinking why not deflect the heat at the source instead of blending it..

Do the Baker wind wings help in this department just as well or is thee some handy work that needs to be done?

Mr. Fix it, those wing wings do work somewhat when moving as they bring cooler air around behind the fairing. Sitting still, or slowly moving in traffic is my biggest heat complaint area. Unfortunately engine deflectors or wind deflectors won't work until you are moving at a decent speed.

Areall your fairing pieces there & sealed? If not a lot of heat comes out the rear of the fairing area.

One thing I'm going to do on my 1200 when I get a chance is to fabricate a double throw relay & wire harness that will reverse the cooling fan direction at low speeds & in stopped traffic. That will revert to conventional operation as the bike starts to move at about 5-10 MPH. Blowing that hot air forward instead of rearward when stopped should really help the sitting still temp problem just rearward of the engine area.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Hi Twisty,

Yup, All the tupperware is there and in good condition.

I'm wondering if the Ltd lower fairings offer anymore air movement than the interstate lower fairings..

Maybe you could let me know if you do the reverse wiring thing for the cooling fan and how it works out for you.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Okay..

I'll check out JC Whitney The Wings & Things won't ship to Canada using the USPS just UPS and they are killer for their brokerage fees coming into Canada.

I do like the looks of those Ltd and SEi lowers though..:grinner:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Mr. Fix it wrote:
Okay..

I'll check out JC Whitney The Wings & Things won't ship to Canada using the USPS just UPS and they are killer for their brokerage fees coming into Canada.

I do like the looks of those Ltd and SEi lowers though..:grinner:
My 86 SEI looked good but I don't think the heat issue is much different. Could be worse, try hot weather with a V-twin!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.