Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'86 gl1200
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my gl1200 was fine (at least so it seemed to me),
after trying to balance the carburetors it became like this i can't fix it anymore.
but what could have happened?

I just checked the timing and the sprockets are aligned.
I did a compression test:
cylinder 1 I have a value of 120
cylinders 2,3,4 value of 50

I repeat: the bike was fine, then while I was trying to synchronize the carburetors it started to give this problem.

to check the valves do I have to remove the heads?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,857 Posts
No you don't have to remove the heads. Maybe the valve covers but I don't think you have a valve problem.
If you bring it over, I can sync the carbs for you, :devilish: and I think that's all it needs.

Get someone with some "carb stix", who knows how to sync the 1200 carbs, to help you.

·
Registered
Several
1,435 Posts
I agree with Bike and Dennis. Let him:cool: or someone with experience sync them. It's not hard but if you've never done it it's easy to do it wrong.

The big clue here is you said it was fine before, and now it's not.

Based on your question about removing the heads to check valves. It appears you may not have enough experience to adjust the carbs. There is no shame in that. It just means you need some help. You've come to the right place!

Rayjoe

Reactions: oldcomputek

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Then you can't trust those numbers at all. I bet carb 1 was partially open, while the rest were closed. Really sounds like you have just messed up the carb sync. Start over and bench sync them, then when running, make small moves and check that they respond as expected. I am also a big fan of carb stix for getting everything spot on.

·
Registered
'86 gl1200
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then you can't trust those numbers at all. I bet carb 1 was partially open, while the rest were closed. Really sounds like you have just messed up the carb sync. Start over and bench sync them, then when running, make small moves and check that they respond as expected. I am also a big fan of carb stix for getting everything spot on.
I redid the tests with the throttle open and in fact the result has changed.
all 4 cylinders with compression and 150/160 with a cold engine.
all 4 candles spark but from the noise and the stench of unburned gas I doubt it is going to 4 cylinders.

·
Registered
Several
1,435 Posts
No offense, but you are looking for trouble where there is none. You said your bike ran fine until you tried to sync the carbs. After listening to the video you posted it just sounds like you need to get someone to help you get them back in sync.

Stop looking for major problems and get the carbs balanced!!

Rayjoe

Reactions: oldcomputek

·
Registered
Several
1,435 Posts
Suona davvero bene! Qual era la cura?

That sounds really good! What was the cure?

Rayjoe

·
Registered
'86 gl1200
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Suona davvero bene! Qual era la cura?

That sounds really good! What was the cure?

Rayjoe
you were right it was simply the unsynchronized carburetors.
to fix them I chose an unorthodox method: I removed the intake manifolds and adjusted the throttle valves until they were in the same position.
the result is that of the video.
Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
Several
1,435 Posts
Eccezionale! È sempre bello quando si tratta di una soluzione semplice!!

Outstanding! It's always nice when it's a simple fix!!

Rayjoe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am sure this advice is far too late. However, try closing all four mixture screws and then opening them 3 turns each. This should get you running relatively smooth, unless you have another issue going on with a carb. Should be rideable and then you can have someone assist you with fine tuning. Also, have you verified your point gaps?

·
Registered
'86 gl1200
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am sure this advice is far too late. However, try closing all four mixture screws and then opening them 3 turns each. This should get you running relatively smooth, unless you have another issue going on with a carb. Should be rideable and then you can have someone assist you with fine tuning. Also, have you verified your point gaps?
thanks, the problem seems solved.
I also realized that the 2 vacuum gauges used when connected to the same carburetor gave different values, and not a little !!! so I also had problems with measuring instruments.

·
Administrator
28,955 Posts
to fix them I chose an unorthodox method: I removed the intake manifolds and adjusted the throttle valves until they were in the same position.
That is what is known as bench synch. Normally done using a feeler gauge or small wire to adjust to.

Reactions: Texaco
1 - 18 of 18 Posts