Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

Brand new to me, my GL 1200 engine quits when you make a sharp slow speed turn.

Eagleavn

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Either a BAS gone bad(not sure 1200 has them or not)
or a pinched wire harness up front possibly going to ignition switch.
Maybe a bad relay.

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

Eagleavn has n 84, they are known for bad ignition switches and the symptoms point to that possibility.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

Had the same problem with my 84 aspy was a bad ignition switch. There is a recall out there on the 84 if you look up under fairing and the bottom of your ignition switch is just a black plastic bottom like a cup. There are 3 small tabs that hold the bottom of the switch cover to the body.The fixed one has small nuts holding the caps on now. This will tell you if it has been replaced by recall or not. Also if you take your vin# to honda dealer have them run it and make sure they do it as some will not.also try to start your bike then wiggle the wire harness going to ignition switch,if bike cuts out you found your problem. Hal

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

I believe it was a safety recall so your dealer should be obligated to replace the switch free of charge if it's still the origanal.
I could be wrong of course, it's happened once or twenty-nine times but it's still worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

BUDDTWO wrote:
Had the same problem with my 84 aspy was a bad ignition switch. There is a recall out there on the 84 if you look up under fairing and the bottom of your ignition switch is just a black plastic bottom like a cup. There are 3 small tabs that hold the bottom of the switch cover to the body.The fixed one has small nuts holding the caps on now. This will tell you if it has been replaced by recall or not. Also if you take your vin# to honda dealer have them run it and make sure they do it as some will not.also try to start your bike then wiggle the wire harness going to ignition switch,if bike cuts out you found your problem. Hal
Thanks Budd,

I love this forum. I will talk to my contacts at Honda tomorrow and find out if the recall was copleted. What does a new switch cost?

Eagleavn

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
I believe it was a safety recall so your dealer should be obligated to replace the switch free of charge if it's still the origanal.
I could be wrong of course, it's happened once or twenty-nine times but it's still worth looking into.
I agree completely Ken,I will certainly ask the question.:cool:

Eagleavn

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

There should be no charge!! It is a safety recall as you could be riding down the highway and have your motor cut out. As I stated they may be a little stubborn about it but just stick to your guns.My 84 aspy would cut out when you turned the handle bars hard like in the drive way then it would cut out just going straight got worse as time went by.Luck for me I had another 84 parts bike took the switch off and redid mine ,working fine now. Hal

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The '83 Aspencade had the ignition switch with the snap on bottom cap. What a piece of junk that thing is. The cap comes off once, and surely you'll break a tab or two in the process, rendering it useless at that point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.