Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted here a while back and got a lot of help, and now that I’ve come upon a lot of extra time I kicked this project back into gear. I originally bought 3/4 of a 84 gl1200 for $50 almost every wire, fluid line and hydraulic line was cut for no odd reason. I pulled the engine and scraped together all the running components and tried to turn it over for the first time today. Starter works perfect and I have good compression BUT there are these two ports in the lower air box (plenum?) between the two mesh domes covering the air inlets to the carb that blast a ton of gas into the lower air box till it pool up. Pretty sure it’s not normal and pretty sure if I run the fuel pump any longer it will flood the engine.

-Thanks A

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
The carbs are flooding over, have you done any work on them?

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
So ideally gas fills the the bowl of the carb and pushes the float up to stop more gas from entering the carb
Hopefully but probably not in your case. This is a good time to stop and do all the right things,.This situation could and probably did fill one of the cylinders with gas as well as several intake runners.
Stop and take out all the spark plugs and turn off the kill switch and petcock. Turn the engine over by hand a few times and then using the starter. Beware gas might fly everywhere. Once you are confident the gas is completely clear change the oil then spin the new oil through the engine by using the starter.
Now it is time to fix the issue. First install the plugs and plug wires of course. I would drain all the fuel bowls and shake the bike around a bit to be sure the floats have dropped to the bottom of the float bowls. Now the needle and seat is wide open and if debris was holding the needle and seat open originally there is a good chance the fuel charging in the wide open needle and seat will flush that debris away. It only takes a speck of pepper to cause this issue. Now turn on the gas and wait for 5 seconds or so then start the bike. If it runs great you lucked out but always turn off the petcock until you learn the reputation of the bike to assure the issue is fixed.

If the bike starts and runs real fat and rich turn off the petcock immediately but rin the carbs dry. You have an issue that needs carbs looked at again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Listen carefully to redwing. His guidance is sound. The floats and the needles on the Honda carbs are quite sensitive. You may need to check for grooves on the needle seats. Randacks cycle shack sells amazing Honda carb kits. I did a full replacement last year on a GL1200 with no issues. If the carbs were sitting for any length of time they need to be completely disassembled cleaned and rebuilt. Take your time. It’s well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm definitely cutting out a large chunk of this weekend to rebuilding the carb again to see what all I missed, but I have plenty of time considering I had to buy some new ignition coils from amazon prime 1 month delivery.

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
Dave came up with the idea of retrofitting Dodge Neon coils for the 4 cylinder wings. Here is his link.

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
I believe you, you had him by 8 years on this idea.
Yes and the morons at goldwingdocs take credit for it. None of those guys ever had an original thought.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When putting my '87 back on the road, I converted GL1500 coils to run on the 1200 with a little massaging. Little better spark and easily found on ebay with low miles.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts