Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently(about 2 weeks ago) rebuilt the carbs on my 85 GL1200 using Randaks Kit and gave it a brief ride to check it out. As far as I remember the bike rode fine. Yesterday I noticed that the engine was a bit slow to respond to the throttle and also slowish to return to idle speed.

My first thought was throttle cable but I actually disconnected it and revved the engine by hand but the same problem existed. It seems to be at its worst rising to and dropping from 3000 rpms. You can hear and see the butterfly on the linkage snapping closed without hesitation.

Idle screws are set at factory specs and carbs are synced . Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I replaced the spark plugs with new ones when I did the carbs so I am expecting it will take a while for them to take on a color.
Actually, if you have fresh plugs it's a good time to check. If it's running rich, the black deposites happen pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
In that case maybe a lean condition. What kind of condition are the fuel filter/tank inlet in?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
"Slow to respond" was the phrase the prompted me to speculate you were missing a cylinder. The slide diaphragms Dennis mentioned also crossed my mind. I've found they sometimes are really difficult to get back in place properly.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,949 Posts
You might want to also check for vacuum leaks.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK problem solved. Dizzy was very close to the mark about all cylinders not running. While all cylinders were running it turned out to be a faulty spark plug. It was the right type of plug and gap was correct. It was however sparking at a very weak rate. Replaced it and problem gone.

All spark plugs were new so I suppose moral of the story is just because a part is new dont overlook it as not been the cause of a problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.