Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Engine starts with choke pulled out, but won't run without choke in. I tried the Seafoam but it did not work. The engine start fine with the choke pulled out but dies when the choke is pushed in after it warms up. Also the engine dies with the choke is pulled out as soon as I rotate the throttle to give it gas. What is the mechnizium that the Throttle cable is connected to that could cause this. It almost seems like an electrical problem the way the engine cuts off so quickly. Any Thoughts?

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

You may have to pull the carbs and clean them but you could try buying a can of Seafoam and remove the fuel line from the tank, put it down in the can and start the engine and run it until it has pumped about 1/2 of it into the carbs and let it sit overnight.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Dave offers very sound advice, you do seem to have the symtoms of some badly clogged slow jets... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

Hey DWG, please post how this worked for you. If it seems to be a good "fix" perhaps I will try this on my '86 Aspencade.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

i can see not starting w/o choke,but once its warmed up it should run ok unless that idle circuit is messed up

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Maestro319, the suggestion about using a 1/2 can of Seafoam sounded good. I investigated this in more detail and found that if you do this the seafoam will settle in the bowls of the carbs. Since Seafoam is not gas it will not burn off like gasoline. You will have to drain the bowls of the carbs which means you will have to remove the carbs from the bike. Removing the carbs is not an easy job.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

Seafoam will burn but smoke like a train. There are drains in each carb bowl so you do not have to remove them to drain them.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I assume this also goes along with your other post on what moves when your turn the throttle. The only thing that you are moving when you are turning the throttle is the throttle plate in the carb. Opening up the plate cause vacuum to be supplied to the slide diaphragm which causes the main jet needle to rise. When the bike is idling the fuel is being pulled through the low speed or idle jet. The first 1/4 turn of throttle is still using mostly the idle jet, 1/4 to half throttle starts using the main jet along wit the idle jet, 1/2 to 3/4 uses mostly the main jet, and 3/4 to wide open is main jet only (This is all assuming the diaphragm is working correctly).

All this to say, your symptoms are those of plugged jets. If you can't get them to clean themselves with sea foam (and it wont hurt if they jets soak in a carb bowl full of mostly sea foam) you are going to have to pull the carbs and clean the jets and passages. If the bike wont run with out the choke and wont throttle up you'll probably need to pull the carbs anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.