Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know if you can use the fuel injection system on my 1200ltd with a engine from a carburretor version 1200 aspencade? i need to swap my engine over.

thanks dave.

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

The engines are the same. The extra sensors (cold start etc) fitted to the LTD are screwed into the water housings instead of the engine casing so you shouldn'e have problems. Basically you will just be using the bare lump from the carbed bike and keeping the manifolds, pulse genny etc.from the LTD.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jackotom wrote:
Does anyone know if you can use the fuel injection system on my 1200ltd with a engine from a carburretor version 1200 aspencade? i need to swap my engine over.

thanks dave.

[email protected]
Check this one over carefully, I had a 1986 SEI and had the opportunity to buy a new in the box carbureted engine but was convinced by the seller that there were many differences between them that would not be easy to overcome. Let me know if you are able to do it, I really wanted to get that brand new engine but didn't want to convert my bike to carbs.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

Doubt this would make a "fit" difference but I believe the LTD engine actually has a slightly different back engine case caused by the alternator being slightly larger. Dont remember what the output difference is between the not ltd/sei and the other 1200's but seems like there would be the potential to fry the alternator on a non ltd/sei engine on a ltd frame since there is somewhat higher current draw.

bob

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The SEi has the bigger alternator casing, I don't think the LTD has this. Either way, the frames are the same so either engine will physically fit. If you were to fit an SEi engine with the larger 500 watt alternator then you would need the regulator from the SEi as well.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

LTD has 500 also, they fry just as well as the smaller one. GO EXT! :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The smaller DC power output of the carbureted engine (300W vs. 500W) might make it come up short due to the heavier current draw of the fuel injection. Might not be able to keep the battery up and might overload the voltage regulator/rectifier. Of course that could be gotten around by goingthe automotive alternator route.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I know a guy in the UK who has an 86 Aspencade engine in his 85LTD. It wasn't as easy as some people think and I think he had to use one of the cylinder heads from his old engine.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
I know a guy in the UK who has an 86 Aspencade engine in his 85LTD. It wasn't as easy as some people think and I think he had to use one of the cylinder heads from his old engine.
Is it possible he installed an '86AspencadeSEI engine?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.