Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the goldwing gl1200 engine back together and fitted in the frame anfter a re build runs great can go through all the gears very smooth,one problem i have is a noisy rattle/thump when I'm in 3rd 4th and 5th gear give it a bit of gas or pull the cluct lever in and the noise goes away let off the gas and it returns.
If the engine is not in gear theres no noise no matter how much i rev it any ideas

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
I get the idea you are running it on the stand, not actually riding it. If so it is going to have some gear backlash.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get the idea you are running it on the stand, not actually riding it. If so it is going to have some gear backlash.
Hi dave
Thanks for the reply
i have tried riding the trike and still get the same noise the big problem is i cant pinpoint it,its very anoying
I have also tried disconecting the rear axle and shaft to see if that made any difference which it didnt .

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heres a couple of vids of the engine running it may be that all i need is to increase the idle speed

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
You can get some pretty strange noises if the carbs are out of sync.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I have just reinstalled my engine after a stator replacement on my 1984 1200, it makes the same noise, when you figure it out post the answer. my carbs are the same ones that ran good before.:praying:what would cause the carbs to get out of sync just because they were removed and reinstalled?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I have just reinstalled my engine after a stator replacement on my 1984 1200, it makes the same noise, when you figure it out post the answer. my carbs are the same ones that ran good before.:praying:what would cause the carbs to get out of sync just because they were removed and reinstalled?
How long did it sit in the process?
Did you replace the intake manifold o-rings and use some grease to hold them in place in grooves? If not, you may have a leak there or one out of place causing a vacuum leak.
You could have a vacuum leak, check with short burst of Carb cleaner or unlit propane torch around intakes and vacuum lines.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
rattle

I didnt know that a vacume leak could cause all that much noise to happen. I will try the carb cleaner today, thanks.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I didnt know that a vacume leak could cause all that much noise to happen. I will try the carb cleaner today, thanks.
It puts the carbs out of sync which puts uneven pressure on the primary chain in the motor which slaps around making the noise or you get the wrong mixture.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
You could have stirred up some crap that was just laying in the carb bowls or build in a vacum leak when reinstalling.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
noise

I just fired up my 1200 interstate and the right front carb is dumping fuel, I think that will put it out of synk. now does anyone know if that carb can be removed by itself or will I have to pull all the carbs to get the float loose? Please help I want to go for a ride.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I just fired up my 1200 interstate and the right front carb is dumping fuel, I think that will put it out of synk. now does anyone know if that carb can be removed by itself or will I have to pull all the carbs to get the float loose? Please help I want to go for a ride.
The whole Carb rack has to come out first.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
For what it's worth that's what I'd expect a Goldwing to sound like if one camshaft was 180 degrees out.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
carbs

boy you people are of no help. I thought someone would say,"tap it with your finger and it will go away". well I suppose I will take the carbs out to fix it and check the valve timming,, thanks for the help.:claps:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
boy you people are of no help. I thought someone would say,"tap it with your finger and it will go away". well I suppose I will take the carbs out to fix it and check the valve timming,, thanks for the help.:claps:
You didn't twitch yer nose!!!!!:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
It puts the carbs out of sync which puts uneven pressure on the primary chain in the motor which slaps around making the noise or you get the wrong mixture.
I took my carbs off today and saw what was inside, I dont even know why it ever ran. they are full of garbage. thanks for the tip.:sadguy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.