Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few post on installing a poor boy alternater and one suggest to use a Pontiac Firefly alternater.after searching the net for that, One add said voltage regulated by vehicles on board computer. how will that work out on my goldwing?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Dude
You didn't say which Goldwing you have that you are asking about.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,867 Posts
I have read a few post on installing a poor boy alternater and one suggest to use a Pontiac Firefly alternater.after searching the net for that, One add said voltage regulated by vehicles on board computer. how will that work out on my goldwing?

What model Goldwing?

All of the Poor Boy type conversions will require either the internal (to the alternator) or an External (to the alternator) regulator that is specific to that alternator.

The Goldwing's original regulator will NOT work because it was designed for a Stator, not an Alternator.

Huge difference in electrical design and requirements.

You need to expand on what you are doing, which bike/model.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I have 84 Aspy and am just finishing a completely custom install! and except for a little vibration (due to first try custom pulley) it is awesome! so much better than the stator, I used the geo alternator from junk yard and fabricated everything. put over 1000 miles and finally getting ready to put plastic back on!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Dudeboy's profile says he has a 1200. The recommended alt has an internal regulator. I wouldn't install one that doesn't.
What happened to the 'watch thread' button?
Bobbydsp.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an 84 interstate. Also, some of you guys that have done the poor boys, I removed the stator AND the roter, do you think that will be ok? I only left the starter clutch and core.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,867 Posts
Larry,

You are indeed correct. I should have expanded on my statement saying "That if you want to subscribe, but not post to, then use the menu up above."

which is indeed what I have been doing. I subscribe to a lot of threads that I have extreme interest in, but do not necessarily post to them.

Does that make any sense?

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
Yeah John, perfect sense. I was just commenting on another way to get subscribed to a thread.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Larry,

You are indeed correct. I should have expanded on my statement saying "That if you want to subscribe, but not post to, then use the menu up above."

which is indeed what I have been doing. I subscribe to a lot of threads that I have extreme interest in, but do not necessarily post to them.

Does that make any sense?
Way too difficult John. I have tried several times and get nothing. The old 1 button at the bottom of subscribe, unsubscribe was way less complicated and only 1 step.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I have an 84 interstate. Also, some of you guys that have done the poor boys, I removed the stator AND the roter, do you think that will be ok? I only left the starter clutch and core.
Dudeboy, I've been looking at doing that, how did you do it? Did you drill out the rivets holding the assembly together and replace them with bolts? Have you noticed any side effects from losing all that rotating rotor weight? Was thinking that maybe there would be less goldwing low rpm "diesel rattle" from the primary chain if this was done. Got any pictures? Thanks!

To OP: yes, disconnect original regulator when adding external alternator.. The Metro/Firefly alternator will default to normal internal regulation when there's no external signal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.