Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am currently rebuilding my GL1200 and have come across a dilemma - the foot gear shift lever although selects all gears 1 through 5 is stiff (when selecting gears the lever does not return to the centre) here's the dilemma - thought I'd take off the front engine cover to check the linkage all was correct! checked the foot gear leaver it is now springing back into the centre position after selection, Tighten the front engine cover bolts and thefoot lever is now stiff again?

I removed the the front cover again to double check nothing appears to be in the way - checked the foot lever - all okay - tighten the front cover bolts all stiff again?????

Has anyone come across this before am I being to critical with it - maybe it will free up on running??

Any suggestions would be very helpful

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Possibly some binding in the neutral switch linkage? Is the yoke and crosspin on the switch linkage linked up properly? Maybe a new cover gasket might improve the clearance inside the cover a bit.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

exavid wrote:
Possibly some binding in the neutral switch linkage? Is the yoke and crosspin on the switch linkage linked up properly? Maybe a new cover gasket might improve the clearance inside the cover a bit.
I have checked the linkage all appears okay.

When I disasembled the the motor I did not have a good look at how the linkage split - I have checked the clymers, haynes and the Honda manuals re the linkage and not one of them has a clear view of the linkage behind the fron engine cover - I have however (please dont laugh) destroyed the paper gasket and have used a selastic sealer - do you think that this may be the problem (clearance)?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

exavid wrote:

When I disasembled the the motor I did not have a good look at how the linkage split - I have checked the clymers, haynes and the Honda manuals re the linkage and not one of them has a clear view of the linkage behind the fron engine cover - I have however (please dont laugh) destroyed the paper gasket and have used a selastic sealer - do you think that this may be the problem (clearance)?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

exavid wrote:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't know, but you could check by slipping a thin piece of card board on places along the edge of the cover and snug the bolts to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for that i have actually ripped the front cover off to try that.the Neutral switch is in the right position and the pin is also correct. got me scratching at the moment.

thank you for your time

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Can anyone tell me how critical the paper gasket is for the front engine cover?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't really know how critical it is. The neutral switch yoke looks like it's got space for having the cover a wee bit closer. I don't know how much clearance the water pump drive has. I do know that Logtech had a tip break off the waterpump drive shaft twice on his 1100 which has about the same set up. I bought the bike from him and replaced the shaft from a salvage engine and the last I heard is the guy who bought it had put on a couple thousand miles besides the 500 I put on it. I still don't know why those two shafts broke at the waterpump joint.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Are you testing with the engine running??

1200 transmissions need the engine and the rear wheel to be turning to shift properly, or else the transmission will get stuck between gears not engaging them completely.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thank you.

No the engine has not been run as yet.

With the front engine cover off the foot gear shift lever moves through the gears very nicely - each time the gear changes (after the press down or lift up) the foot gear lever returns to its original position thanks to the stud and return spring.

When installing the front engine cover (with a silicon gasket) checking that the gearbox is in neutral and the gearshift sensor is aligned as per the book and before tightening the bolts - all is as it should be - once the bolts have been tensioned the foot gear shift lever becomesvery stiff and does not return to its starting position after the press down or lift up.

Still scratching!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

The gasket is needed I had a similar problem when I changed my water pump. Put the gasket in and every thing worked great, I had read some where that the gasket was needed for clearance.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions - who would have thought that a 0.04mm thickness of paper gasket would solve the problem.

:bow:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.