Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is an issue I have with the wing. turn key on and radiator fan runs full blast off the bat. I know this is not right and it pulls the battery down before i am up and running for checks to electrical. Yes It needs a new battery but the fans coming on full blast with key on are amp degrading. info will help. ty

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
It could be a shorted fan switch or previous owner re-wiring.
It would help if you told us the year and model of your Wing,:readit:

·
Administrator
28,085 Posts
If it is new to you maybe there is a switch somewhere you haven't figured out yet what it is. Lots of times people have jumpered the thermo switch or installed a switch for the fan when the thermo switch fails or they think a manual switch will make it run cooler.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Like Dave0430 said, if the bike has done it since you bought it then it could be one of 3 things.
1: Previous owner bypassed the thermo switch
2: Previous owner installed a bypass switch and you haven't found it yet
3: The Thermo switch is defective.

If it did not do it when you bought it but is does now then check the thermo switch.

Let us know if you need a schematic to help you.

Henry

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a clymer schematic that came with the bike which should be good enough as long as it is close to being right... lol I have no confidence in clymer though with a Honda civic issue I was trying to work through with one of their manuals found the schematic to be way off from the actual vehicle.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
The thermoswitch and the fan wiring are easy to see without removing any plastic. On the right side of the engine, directly behind the radiator and fan is the 2 wire connector for the fan. See if it is still plugged into the pigtail leading to the thermo switch. If this is not a new problem the PO probably pulled that connector and hung a wire to either a switch or ground to activate the fan constantly. If this is a new problem I'm betting your thermo switch is bad. Check for cross over parts for a much cheaper alternative to the OEM switch.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
The thermo switch provides a ground path to your fan. When the temperature of the coolant gets too high the switch closes which provides the ground to fan motor. With the ignition key on there should be 12V at the thermostatic switch terminal. If there's not voltage and your fan is running that will tell you the switch has died. Take the wire off the switch and the fan should stop. If it does all you need is a new switch. If the fan still runs with the wire off there's a short between the switch and the fan motor. Check the wire for any chafing that might have shorted it to ground and insulate it.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I really STRONGLY advise you to avoid more problems and buy an OEM part. I have never heard anything good about that seller.
Try this:
http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_s...=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1984&fveh=132497
+1 Dennis, but probably not for the same reason.
Quite a few of the "aftermarket" switches are set too low. Cooling fan comes on too soon, stays on too long, require much lower temperature to turn off.
Your engine needs to run @185-190 degrees. 160 is too cold and promotes premature engine wear as most oils are designed to provide maximum protection at NORMAL operating temperatures.
Lower set switches can cause premature fan failure because they run much more than necessary, and at freeway speeds, the fan can over speed, having the same effect.
Stick with a stock unit.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
bought a couple of the fan switches listed by saber,none lasted for any length of time

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Saber Cycles = problems at every turn, either a cheap aftermarket part that fails, or getting abused verbally should you ever have the nerve to ask any kind of question, never mind being stupid enough to report any kind of problem.

Please do yourself a big favor and purchase anywhere else, preferably OEM, or at the local auto-parts store.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.