Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pulled rear wheel off to replace tire. Splines were not only dry, but rusted. So, called local Honda place to see if they had Moly60. Was told "We don't carry that". So, what do you use on the splines then? "Just a water proof grease". I had some Primrose Lubri-Plate with Moly D that promised no melting and resistant to heat and pressure so I put that on. I subsequently located Moly60 at an independent shop but only after putting everything back together. Will use it next tire change. I did put Ride-On in the rear tire and it rides really smooth. New tire and rear end service makes a big difference. I am coming to realize that the PO wasn't much for routine service and pretty much just put gas in the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Only use 60% moly my Honda dealer carries it and you can buy it on line just google it..I'll look around at my bookmarks there others not HOnda who make it..

BUT what shape are the splines in??? must be sharp squared off edges if not I'd replace.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Pulled rear wheel off to replace tire. Splines were not only dry, but rusted. So, called local Honda place to see if they had Moly60. Was told "We don't carry that". So, what do you use on the splines then? "Just a water proof grease". I had some Primrose Lubri-Plate with Moly D that promised no melting and resistant to heat and pressure so I put that on. I subsequently located Moly60 at an independent shop but only after putting everything back together. Will use it next tire change. I did put Ride-On in the rear tire and it rides really smooth. New tire and rear end service makes a big difference. I am coming to realize that the PO wasn't much for routine service and pretty much just put gas in the bike.
Cyclemax in Ohio sells Honda moly 60 ( according to their site) $9.00 per tube

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I use the Loctite Moly Paste. 8 oz/$23.65
65% Moly as compared to the Honda Moly 60 Paste.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Paste-51048-PRICE-BOTTLE/dp/B001HWBSJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355095730&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+moly+paste[/ame]

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Splines are ok. Bike only has 27K on it. The stuff I used will be replaced at next tire change. As I said, I later found the Moly Paste at an independant shop, also for $9. The properties of the stuff I used will be OK for the time being I think.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Personally, I would spend the couple of hours this winter and remove the wheel, clean the stuff off and reapply Moly 60.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I guess I am the only one here who uses Guard Dog 570 73% moly paste on shaft drive splines. This stuff is not cheap, I ordered it online and paid $50 for an 8 oz jar, including shipping. But that is enough to do the job several times. I recommend not only putting it on the final drive and wheel flanges, but on both ends of the drive shaft, both sides of the u-joint, and the engine output shaft.

We have a local Goldwing shop (NOT a Honda dealer) I called and asked them if they had any Moly 60, they said no, and that they used BelRay waterproof grease on the final drive parts. Now BelRay waterproof grease is some good stuff, and I use it for a lot of things, but it is NOT suitable for use on motorcycle final drive splines.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I'm using Loctite Moly Paste which is 65% Moly.

That said my bike went 50K+ with what looked like red chassis grease and no discernible wear on the splines.

I believe that most worn splines are from bad wheel bearings which allow the splines to run off centre. That combined with poor or no lubrication and the splines are soon gone.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Just don't layer it on too thick, the stuff is really heavy so centrifugal force will ensure that whatever it don't need will get thrown off all over your back wheel and anything else in the way that it can adhere to, nasty mess to clean up!!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Just don't layer it on too thick, the stuff is really heavy so centrifugal force will ensure that whatever it don't need will get thrown off all over your back wheel and anything else in the way that it can adhere to, nasty mess to clean up!!
If the lubricant can be thrown out your o-rings are compromised which would also allow dirt to enter shortening the life of your splines no mater what lubricant is used.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Well maybe the 1200 has an O ring between the wheel and the drive but the 1100 for sure doesn't, it has about a 1/16" gap that let's it fly out, but if you put it on right, it's still on there when you take that wheel off again thousands of miles later, and no wear on the splines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.