Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got back from a week of vacation on my recently acquired 1986 GL1200I. I bought the bike June 30th, after researching all of the bike's known issues on the site here. I did the routine stuff - fluids, plugs, tires, 3-yellow wires (hey, I'm a poet).

The bike served me incredibly well for the entire week across the northern US and Canada. I rode 2-up with about 125 pounds of gear - everything from camping gear to laptop computer - and never had a glitch or even a hiccup from the old girl. I got 45 MPG the whole way and was cruising at Interstate speeds most of the time. The trip was about 1800 miles total. I credit my success to the wisdomI found in this group and the ease with which I was able to access that wisdom via the search facility.

So, THANKS!!!

One thing I would add about buying a used bike: no matter how honest they appear and sound, someone selling a used bike is as likely to lie about it as not. My seller seemed as smooth and honest as could be: 3 yellow wires were great - no problem; tuneups were regular - and no problems. After tearing into it after bringing home (and after stalling from fuel starvation in the middle lane on a 3 lane interstate trying to ride it home), I found the air box PACKED near solidwith mouse bedding, the tank had rust from no being properly winterized and, the connector for the three yellow wires that had been masterfully covered with electrician's friction tape (to hide a spare key) was seriously melted in spite of his emphatic claim about having regularly packed it with dielectric grease. Always caveat emptor. I guess I feel perturbed because whenever I sell something I am scrupulously honest because I don't want it to come back to me. Anyway, I've successfully ridden the bike for 5,500 miles (of its 27,300) and love it!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Curt Miller wrote:
The bike served me incredibly well for the entire week across the northern US and Canada. I rode 2-up with about 125 pounds of gear - everything from camping gear to laptop computer - and never had a glitch or even a hiccup from the old girl. I got 45 MPG the whole way and was cruising at Interstate speeds most of the time. The trip was about 1800 miles total. I credit my success to the wisdomI found in this group and the ease with which I was able to access that wisdom via the search facility.
Don't forget to credit Honda for designing and building such a fine machine! Not too many other 19 year old bikes are reliable enough to take off across a continent!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

exavid wrote:
Don't forget to credit Honda for designing and building such a fine machine! Not too many other 19 year old bikes are reliable enough to take off across a continent!
You're right, exavid, I thank Honda for building such a great machine, too!

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

So very glad to hear you had a safe and enjoyable trip. 86-I is my current ride also, wish I could get some time off work to enjoy her.... Belated welcome also. :gunhead:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Curt, was wondering. I have a gl1200A and am planning a trip in the Rocky Mountains (here in Alberta/british Columbia). I'm new to tour riding and just bought the Aspy and have done a usual work and a new vented windshield and back tire and all the wires and connectors have been replaced and soldered and weather proofed!

I'm still only getting about 38 MPG (in American translation from km/100 haha) did you find once cruising on hwy the fuel economy seemed to get better when just at a constant hwy speed? I do a mainly hwy city mix and cruise at 65-75 mph. I've done the usual sea foam, oil change, air filter, final drive (it was gross buddy had never changed it) new rear touring tire and pressures in the 40-42 range.

Just also wanted to ask for pictures! Road trips are always fun but pictures tell of its enjoyment!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,152 Posts
I hope you are NOT waiting for Curt to get back to you.
He has not been on the forum since:

• Most Recent User Note: 10-03-2012 02:52 AM

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Curt Miller wrote: Don't forget to credit Honda for designing and building such a fine machine! Not too many other 19 year old bikes are reliable enough to take off across a continent!
that bike is 28 years old

·
Steve
440 Posts
Back when this was posted it was only 19 years old (2005)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.