Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1985 gl1200 limited editionthat I have to replace the left fork leg on. I found one for an 86 aspencade on ebay but when I cross reference the parts #s on bike bandit the 85s # is 668660 and the 86s is 668661. they look identical but I dont want to buy it if they changed something and they wont work together. anyone know?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i am 99.9999999% sure all 1200 forks are the same and can be interchanged. what may be different are the springs, i suggest you to use the same pair of springs.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

I found when I went to buy head gaskets that they weren't available for a 1980 1100. They were available for later years. The part number was different. After comparing all of the individual part numbers in each year's set it was obvious they were the same parts.

The difference??? Price. The sets that were available were more expensive.

Just a thought.....

Lyle

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

thanks for the help! Im replacing the fork cause I broke both sides off of the fork seal split ring in the slider. The things completely corroded and siezed and theres no way to get the thing out, unless someones gotta magic trick they know about? ive soaked it in pb blaster, ive tried getting underneath it with a pick and a flat head, breaking it in half with a a punch and a chisel, the things not budgeing

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

well, you've come to the right place. Welcome. There are many magic tricks here and I'm sure someone will be able to help. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.