Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 84 Interstate. Been watching the left fork seal leak develop to the point where fork oil is now pooling. Happens all the time to these old bikes. What's frustrating is I have replaced the seals 2 times already in 2 years and 10,000 miles.

The first set came with the bike and was BikeMaster brand. Those lasted about a month before leaking. The second set was Honda OEM. Those lasted nearly 2 years. Now the left is leaking.

AM I doing something wrong or am I just unlucky?

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I've had better luck but two years on a bike parked next to the bay may be acceptable. The fork sliders could have some light rust that would contribute to the failures you are experiencing.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
It s okay to change the seals but if you don't polish out the pits in the chrome they will eventually tear up the new seals.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
If you'd like to save yourself time and money, I'd buy a set of SealMate seal cleaners and see if they help first. Cleaning/polishing the fork tubes, as said, is essential. But crap/dust is going to accumulate on them now and then while riding and it is those TINY pieces of dirt and whatever that work into your seals and make them leak to one degree or another.

I used SealMates recently on my '85 Aspy and the seals are still working fine, and I'm sure I'll have to use them again before the riding season is over. At about $10 for two of them, it sure beats pulling the forks and buying new seals and fork oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.