Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, it's time to change the fork seals on my 1200 interstate, the left oneis leaking

I've read in Steve's tips that the 1500 fork oil can be replenished through the forks air valves, can this be done on the 1200 aswell or am I going to have to remove the fork caps and duck when the springs are released! :doh:

any other helpful tips would be appreciated

thanks...........

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
Hi, it's time to change the fork seals on my 1200 interstate, the left oneis leaking

I've read in Steve's tips that the 1500 fork oil can be replenished through the forks air valves, can this be done on the 1200 aswell or am I going to have to remove the fork caps and duck when the springs are released!
If you're going to change the fork seals the caps will be off anyway so just pour the oil in before you replace the caps. If you have air valves you can put the oil in through them. You can also pump the oil in from the bottom drain too if you vent the caps.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

After you re-assemble the front struts, and before you put the caps on, just pour the measured amount of fluid in from the top or Exavids suggestions. I suggest ATF.

WARNING.. Cover the caps with a heavy towel when removing them for the first time. It will catch the cap if it flies off the spring. They are under a lot of pressure and will take your teeth out if you are not protected somehow.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

If you raise the front of your 1200 so that the front wheel is off the ground the caps won't tend to fly as far. I use a socket and a T handle wrench to remove the caps and have never had a problem with them flying off, but, the towel on the false tankis a good idea idea just in case.

Make certain that the new seals go in with the double lips facing down and the single lip facing up.

Vic

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guy's,

So whats the method of getting the caps back on against spring pressure?

or is it justa case of lots of shoving and swearing...............

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

You've got it.. Also, you may need a little help from your friends if you weigh under 3,000 lbs... LOL:weightlifter:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Johno, one thing that may help you get the caps back in is to turn the cap backwards as you bear downuntil you feel the click of the first thread dropping into place, then turn clockwise until tight. A bit of oil or grease on the threads also helps things go a little easier.

Vic

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Guess I'd better start eating some burgers then,.......... ;)

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Johno, one thing that may help you get the caps back in is to turn the cap backwards as you bear downuntil you feel the click of the first thread dropping into place, then turn clockwise until tight. A bit of oil or grease on the threads also helps things go a little easier.

Vic
Actually that is a very good tip. It takes the guesswork out of it and probably saves stripping threads. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

As always,

thanks for the excellant advice,

looks like I'll be changing the timing belts aswell....................

So once all the bits have arrived and I get a break from the enevitable shopping trips with my other half, I'll get all those pending front end jobs done at the same time.............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.