Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have drilled out fork caps so I can add oil without removing caps. Do I have to remove caps to change the seals and bushings? I have the fork off and bottom bolt out and was about to remove the cap when I was wondering if the caps only come off in this process to add oil when done.

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts
I have drilled out fork caps so I can add oil without removing caps. Do I have to remove caps to change the seals and bushings? I have the fork off and bottom bolt out and was about to remove the cap when I was wondering if the caps only come off in this process to add oil when done.
I did not try leaving the caps on but I think it would be very hard to pull the seals with the springs in there and almost impossible to put the new seals in.

You will need to be able to slide the fork tube to get the seals out. Don't forget to remove the circlip. The spring pressure that makes the cap difficult to install will keep pressure on the circlip. It may even be dangerous to try it without taking the caps off.

mccarterj said:
Do I have to remove caps to change the seals and bushings?
Yes

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very helpful topic, was reading through it all. I am going to do my seals this weekend. This guide looks much better that what is listed in my manual. Thanks

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Well it's spring and I'm going at this job. Of course some previous owner was in there already and messed up the bottom bolts - completely rounded inside. Slow and steady drilling off the heads of the bolts. Got one fork on the bench right now with the bolt drilled off and the snap ring removed. Didn't come apart right away so I'm going to soak the seal in PB overnight and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Hmmm I appear to have ordered extra parts. I have here 51415-mb4-003 (labelled Slider Bush) and 51419-mb4-003 (labelled Slider Bush B).

Is the 51419 just a newer version of 51415? 51419 has a groove around the middle of it, 51415 has no groove - they both are the same size and look like they fit in the same place on the fork tube.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hmmm I appear to have ordered extra parts. I have here 51415-mb4-003 (labelled Slider Bush) and 51419-mb4-003 (labelled Slider Bush B).

Is the 51419 just a newer version of 51415? 51419 has a groove around the middle of it, 51415 has no groove - they both are the same size and look like they fit in the same place on the fork tube.
Did you get this figured out. I'm headed there now,,,,lol.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Honda shows the upper guide bushing as 51414-KCR-003, and the lower slider bushing as a 51419-MB4-003.
The 51415-mb4-003,does come up as a bushing,but not on the GW,as far as I can see.
My stock sliders had no groove,but the replacements did.
I think I would use the 51419.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.