Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunny winter day so I took the Aspy out for a check to see what might be needed to work on in prep for spring riding. Good, short cruise but one problem: cruising down the road and when I took both hand pressure off the handlebars I experienced a bit of shimmy coming from the front wheel. I may have a front seal problem too as I noted a bit of leakage from the left fork upper seal. Perhaps the problems are related?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I'd definitely replace the seal but it's probably not going to fix what you describe. There's a 'ton' of info out there on this topic. A bit of shimmy going 'hands off' on a bumpy road at 30 - 40 mph I'd consider pretty typical. If it really bothers a great deal, and all other factors (tires, pressures, bearings,) are deemed acceptable, the best fix I've come across is to dampen the steering a bit by tightening the head bearing adjustment spanner nut.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Very typical of fairing bikes, roadglides suffer it too, many times the tires have started cupping and with a new set of tires it goes away until the cupping starts again, @ 3,000-4,000 miles wear of tires.

Me, I blame it on lack of quality control in the m/c tires as one set of same brand and tire will cup badly and wear out soon and another set cups later on in mileage and lasts longer on the same bike.

Keep at least 1 hand on the bars when decelerating as that is when it happens mostly.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
yep agree with dizzy, there are several things that can cause it from trailing arm bearings to tires, the main culprit does seem to be the front tire though, it was on my aspy.

as for the leaky fork, this may be of some help, and may save you quite a bit if it works.

http://sealmate.net/ never have used one myself, so cant comment on its reliability

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Check the rear tire first. Too low a PSI or cupping and it will set the bike off, you will notice it amplified into the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the rear tire first. Too low a PSI or cupping and it will set the bike off, you will notice it amplified into the handlebars.
Interesting observation since the rear suspension air was originally low. But I'd corrected and balanced the front/rear air suspension before heading out so now I'm not sure. I'll start checking things out step by step including the front tire. Thanks everyone for the insights.

·
killer driller
781 Posts
I have the same problem with my 86 asp,only at lower speeds 20-30 mph,i just figured it was from the weight of the fairing,guess i'll check out a few more things now,i've owned a few bikes but this is my first wing and reading these forums are very educational

·
IBA Member
373 Posts
My 84 Aspy did the same thing at low speeds. Tire was not the problem. I found it happened more when I cranked up the dampening dials so the front end wouldn't dive on me while braking. After much searching it turned out to be a loose steering head bearing. Cranked it to torque spec and it's smooth and steady now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.