Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. My 1986 GL1200 interstate has an incredibly quick air leak at the bridge tube between the fork tubes. The air all rushes out in about 2 seconds. I noticed the tube rotates pretty freely so I tightened up both nuts as tight as I thought reasonable with no change in air retention. I was able to confirm the air is leaking from around the right hand nut on the equalizer tube. My suspension is the small (1/4" or so ID) o-ring that should be there isn't there. I'm not seeing that part available anywhere online. Does anyone know the size of the o-ring? It seems like a hardware or automotive store should have something comparable. I'll bring the equalizer in to the hardware store to test fit but if anyone knows any information to help me narrow the search down it would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea! Fingers crossed the left side has the o-ring! I've had several guests in town the past few weeks so I haven't had enough time to tear everything apart. Hopefully Thursday or Friday will have enough time. I will report back!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha I saw that! Trying to not spend $12 plus shipping on one o-ring that may or may not fit ?. If all else fails I might have to go that route. I figured it would be bad form to ask that guy to measure the o-ring for me so I can buy a 50¢ piece locally.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,322 Posts
The price on the envelope was 88 cents. So, if you figure 11 cents mark up and 11 dollars shipping, you get...that's right...$11.99

I think this is a case where "close enough" will be close enough.

Any o-ring that fits over the threads should seal just fine. We are talking about a maximum pressure of 6 PSI.

·
Just one of the guys
4,832 Posts
Farm machinery uses lots of O rings, might try the parts counter at the local tractor dealer. NAPA auto parts probably would have a selection of O rings as well.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I know Advance Auto and NAPA store have selections in a box as well, easy to match up.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
225 piece metric o ring kit at harbor freight for around $5.00 I bet one will fit. If not you have plenty of o ring material find one that fits the groove gut to fit and super glue to make a perfect o ring. [Make several and sell for $5.00 ea on ebay 1/2 of that price and you'll have gas money to Ride lol]

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,322 Posts
I have one of those HF o-ring kits. Nothing in there really works for the bike, or much else for that matter. They all seem to be too thick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys. I think I was able to solve the problem.

What I believe happened was the ends of the equalizer tube we're pinched too close together and we're thus, not all the way seated and the o-rings were not making a seal. Interestingly, the nut you tighten pushes a plastic bead against the o-ring which is then pressed against the fork connecter ring. The equalizer tube just floats there and if it ever moves out 1/16th inch the seal will be broken. Note the plastic beads look like fat o-rings but are indeed hard plastic.

My neighbor saw me tinkering with this and brought me some rings he uses on air suspensions for cars. They are much fatter and allow for about .25" of movement before the seal is broken.

I stretched the equalizer out a bit before reassembly and loaded it with 20psi air for leak testing. It was able to hold pressure for at least an hour which I interpret as a success. I let all the air out and will do some test rides at 0 psi adding air up to the recommended 6 psi as needed.

Photos attached showing everything taken apart and then partial reassembly with the fat o-ring.

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys. I think I was able to solve the problem.

What I believe happened was the ends of the equalizer tube we're pinched too close together and we're thus, not all the way seated and the o-rings were not making a seal. Interestingly, the nut you tighten pushes a plastic bead against the o-ring which is then pressed against the fork connecter ring. The equalizer tube just floats there and if it ever moves out 1/16th inch the seal will be broken. Note the plastic beads look like fat o-rings but are indeed hard plastic.

My neighbor saw me tinkering with this and brought me some rings he uses on air suspensions for cars. They are much fatter and allow for about .25" of movement before the seal is broken.

I stretched the equalizer out a bit before reassembly and loaded it with 20psi air for leak testing. It was able to hold pressure for at least an hour which I interpret as a success. I let all the air out and will do some test rides at 0 psi adding air up to the recommended 6 psi as needed.

Photos attached showing everything taken apart and then partial reassembly with the fat o-ring.

Thanks for all your help!
Hello

Can you provide the information on where we could get that fat O ring for the air equalizer please.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
All the o-rings are still available from Honda.
Yes I understand but SmokeySubie mentioned that his neighbor saw him tinkering with this and brought him some rings he uses on air suspensions for cars. They are much fatter and allow for about .25" of movement before the seal is broken.

This the O ring I am talking about and I am hoping SmokeySubie will provide the information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I understand but SmokeySubie mentioned that his neighbor saw him tinkering with this and brought him some rings he uses on air suspensions for cars. They are much fatter and allow for about .25" of movement before the seal is broken.

This the O ring I am talking about and I am hoping SmokeySubie will provide the information.
I am also looking for new plastic sleeve, part 44 on the GL1200 87 fork diagram for the air equalizer, if any one has some to spare.

Font Slope Line Handwriting Parallel

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Unfortunately I don't know where he got them but an auto parts store may have some similar.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts