Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got a great deal on E3 tires mounted on rims for my 85 1200 Interstate. To be safe i'm going to replace the wheel bearings. Are the bearings sealed on not that came form the factory? Is there a preference for replacements? I ordered sealed bearings. I'm just wondering what others have used....

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Sealed bearings are all I have ever seen on wings......1200's & 1500's anyway.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
imported post

Sealed. No doubt. :)

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

The fronts on my 1100 had only an outer seal on them. I guess Honda thought that they didn't need an inner seal as they wouldn't get dirt in there. I replaced them with bearings that had seals on both sides.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Original on my '84 were only sealed on the outside. All replacement beaarings I have seen are sealed both sides.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

The reason behind having the bearings only sealed on the outside was so they could access the reservoir of grease that was placed in the hub surrounding the spacer.

The sealed "greased for life" bearings you buy actually have very little grease in them.

One could easily remove the inner seal (they pop right out) and put some good wheel bearing grease in the hub, but if you plan on changing the bearings every 5 years or so I wouldn't bother. I have often carefully removedthen replacedone seal from a bearingafter adding a bit more grease with a hypodermic syringe. One only needs to recognize the need for grease compatibility.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.