Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When i got the bike, the PO had repaired the sightglass with what appears to be BONDO.. now it gave up. i removed it and removed the broken sight glass. now i inserted a coin that fitted tight in the hole. testing with water it doesn't seam to leak but i want to use something else as sealant, maybe epoxy? what would work there and not get melt or disolved by the brake fluid

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Someone else did that IIRC.

JB Weld seems to have a good rep.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

There is a thing kinda sealant refered as "liquid metal" over here, two semi-liquid components which are to be mixed together and after a few hours you'll get a hard and solid substance....it resists gasoline (I used to use it for fuel tank repairing on my former bikes). I'm not sure but I think that it would work against the brake fluid as well. And epoxy resin probably would work too. You can test whichever by pouring some brake fluid into a glass and then puting some sealant into it and see if it will damage it after a few days. Whichever sealant you decide to use it would be good to keep the brake fluid away from it until it gets hardened through.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

I just installed glass which I cut off polycarbonate from Home depot. I removed metal ring, rubber ring, cleaned hole and used Quick JB Weld. After glass installation I used more JBWeld and installed metal ring.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

hey William, what's the coin made out of, and will it have any reaction with the brake fluid? I know brake fluid does weird things to plastic. I'm sure there is a chemist around here somewhere that can answer this question.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

William, there is a thread on exactly this same thing. Just after it was posted I had the same problem with the sight glass. I followed the advice on that thread and repaired the sight glass with a dime and JB Weld. It works well and looks good too. You just have to look in the reservoir from now on to check fluid.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

William, Teacher had the same problem as you and repaired his with a piece of plastic and some RTV. I think someone else did the same thing but used JB Weld to stick the plastic in. If you try that just soak the piece of plastic in some brake fluid for a day or so to see if the stuff tries to eat it. One alternative would be trying a glass shop, shouldn't be expensive to have a piece of glass cut.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Check Seller (fngster)On ebay. Thisseller makes repair kits. He may have one youcan use to fix yourMC.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

JB Weld. Do you need me to send you some, or can you acquire it locally?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,268 Posts
imported post

I've seen an aluminum plug press-fit into a M/C. Are you a machinist?

Newbiker seems to have the best fix so far. I'd like to see a pic of the job.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

i used a mexican made product called plasti-acero (plasticsteel?) it comes in two bars of a kind of Plasticine, you mix them and gets hard as steel, i went for it cuz it claims to work sealing fuel tank leaks so i guess it will work, tomorrow ill install it, the coin itself sat very tight, doubt it will leak. i had read about the dime coin fix, i had a couple of them here but the 10 cent mexican coin was the best size. tomorrow ill get ya a picture of the results, looks very clean.

·
Texas Boy
278 Posts
imported post

Another option is the route I took:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-GL1000-GL1100-GL1200-GL1500_W0QQitemZ110429495808QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b61c6200&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

This is a new replacement unit. I got one a couple of months ago when my sight glass developed a hole in it. It's a good unit, comes with a brake light switch and a nice chrome lever, installed fairly easily and it's less than half the price of a new unit from Mother Honda.

There are, however, a couple of drawbacks. The connection is in a different location than stock for the 1200 so it requires a bit more slack from the brake hose, but not excessive. It will work.

The bigger drawback is that the bore of the cylinder is 2 mm larger than stock so you lose some hydraulic advantage. In other words, it takes more lever force to achieve the same brake line pressure. It took some getting used to, but it's manageable.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Garyft. Thanks for the option, but the problems you mention are enough reason to pass. my master cylinder is working and i have just rebuilt it, yes i was a lazy ass not to repair the sight glass while i had it on the bench but it was not leaking back then.
Another problem i see with the unit is that i highly doubt you will find rebuild kits for them. so you will end up buying a new one instead of being able to repairing it

·
Texas Boy
278 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
Another problem i see with the unit is that i highly doubt you will find rebuild kits for them. so you will end up buying a new one instead of being able to repairing it

That's true, but if this one lasts another 150,000 miles like the last one I'm not certain you'd be able to get a rebuild kit for the original either!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I repaired the one on my 86 SEI. I found a clear plastic box. This particular one had plastic fishing worms in it. I put some brake fluid in it and let it set for a few days. It held up fine without fogging or melting. I then removed the old sightglass and used it as a template and made one from the box using a dremel tool to shape it. I then used JB weld to glue it in place. After several years, it never gave me a problem and you couldn't tell it was ever replaced.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I don't know if this kit will work on goldwing master cyl. But a guy on ebay is selling replacement lens kits item#260468758030

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

ok, its installed back on the bike, the glue seems to be working, after painting it black i can't barely see it, after bleeding dry the system with my pump and adding new fluid it is breaking even better than before, now i can lock the front tire.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Now you can be a "stunta" and do this:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.