Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey guys and gals

bought this wing about 3 monts ago and have a question its an 84 interstate and am wondering if this is the correct front fairing for the year and model as everyone i seem to see has the rectangular head lamp vs the round one. could someone have switched it? guess if they did i cant complain only has 55,000 and paid 1800.00 for it but if its supposed to have the other fairing would like to switch it back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Hamp, the fairing in the picture is for the GL1100. Your fairing should be integrated to the faux tank and the lowers are missing. (probably because the 1100 lowers won't work on a 1200.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

That was a apparently 1200 standard to begin with and someone has added an 1100 fairing and 1200 bags etc.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Dave's right. It's a standard. Interstates and Aspy's didn't have tank badges. So either it's a standard, or a Interstate/Aspencade '83/'84. Either way, the fairing is off an 1100.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

the fairing and tank may be from a 1100 as a set. Perhaps the originals where damaged in a wreck. There should also be a model # on the neck by the vin that would indicate s,i,a
Wilf

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

jhamp3463 wrote:
decoded the vin number it does come up as a interstate for 1984
I'll take your word that it was originally an 84I but it's been rebuilt using parts from different years and models.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

thanks kinda what i thought also not looking like i got a real good deal after all but it rides like a champ anyway it will do till i can afford a gl1500 anyway

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

You should not let the fact that it is not the stock fairing bother you. If it fits well and does the job be happy. It does sound like you where happy with the bike before you knew it was the wrong fairing. Sone like the 1100 styling better. I'm not one of them but thats just me.
From the pictures it look's like you have a very fine bike.And I personaly would not look for a 1200 fairing as it would add very little value to the bike if any
Wilf

Wilf

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

jhamp3463 wrote:
thanks kinda what i thought also not looking like i got a real good deal after all but it rides like a champ anyway it will do till i can afford a gl1500 anyway
It's not all bad. Standards are a rare breed. You may have more value there than you think.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
jhamp3463 wrote:
It's not all bad. Standards are a rare breed. You may have more value there than you think.
gl, if the vin says Interstate it has no value as a Standard other than for a few Standard parts.
That said if it runs well and you enjoy riding it just do so.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

It doesn't look at all bad John. You got it cheap so enjoy riding it until you can get another Wing.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

From the second picture you have the 1200 standard false tank. They have the flare at the rear and the stripe decal goes to the front of the false tank (your stripe goes in behind the fairing).
The 1100 doesn't have the flare at the rear of the f/t like yours has.
Yours also has the standard guages.
Check the vin plate on the frame at the neck. Should be a model number(seperate from vin) will state gl1200, gl1200I, or gl1200A.
It looks good. Ride it and enjoy the ride!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I went through Altoona the evening before sunset of 9/11, after leaving Shanksville, via the 160/53/22 (great country), on my way to NH for a visit. I will be leaving for the Blue Ridge PWY and points south @ 10/15-20.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

The only 1200 that even gets close to being a collectable is the standard. After that the SEi and the LTD but even so they don't usually command much more of a price over an Interstate or Aspy. Typically the extra accessories just make the bike easier to sell than they do increase the price. That looks like a clean bike and you got it at a good price. Ride it and enjoy it. When you see other wingers and ex-wingers you are going to get engaged in conversation so add a little more time for fuel stops :)

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

well guys i have to admit when our right checked the neck and all it says is gl1200 so its not an interstate afterall guess the po must have thought it made it worth more this way shame how some people can mess things up for all of us but all in all i do enjoy riding it so till i can afford a 1500 i will enjoy it. but if i ever do sell it i will make sure the next guy knows all about it

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Just to clarify. Because it's a standard doesn't make it more valuable. Just more desireable to some enthusiasts. It is nice to know it's not a pile of parts from seventeen different bikes. So, maybe you didn't get such a bad deal after all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.