Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Honda recommend ATF for fork oil on the 1200, has anyone experimented with different grades of oil for increased damping?

Anyone fitted progressive springs to their 1200 Goldwing? Did you like the result? I have heard the ride is a little harsh over the original, is it an upgrade worth considering?

Any links to UKsprings suppliers welcomed.

Thanks
BB

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Hi BB.. If you look back over this site during the past summer and into the fall, there were many, many posts onfrontstruts, from stripped bolt heads to fluid & even seal replacement. From what I remember, Progressive springs were & still are very popular. Make sure you have help when installing them. As for the fluid, ATF is fine (it's what I use), however, some positive comments were made about 10 & 15wt engine oil. Be sure to replace the strut seals if you replace the springs. One important word of caution. When replacing the springs, keep your face away from the retainer bolt on top of the strut when removing it. As it comes loose, it will shoot past your head and land somewhere in the next county. I cover the socket and everything with a heavy towel to catch it.. The ride with the Progressive springs is more controlled and a bit more harsh, but desireable over the OEM springs.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Black Bart, I love your sense of humor.

I've tried 30, 20, 15 and 10 w oil in my 1200's forks, but, found anything beyond the 15weight to cause the bike to ride way too harsh, in fact when I had the 30W in I only left it there for one week and changed it because the bike rode like a truck.

Vic

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

I agree, 15wt with the progressives. One other thing to check while your at it is the steering head bearing torque and lubrication. mine were practically finger tight. When I adjusted the head and did the progressive all around, I had to learn to ride all over again, everything was so much tighter and more responsive.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

goldwinger wrote:
, everything was so much tighter and more responsive.
how can I check the steering head bearings on the wife? :baffled:...........

But seriously I got this feedback from another source so thought it could be useful to others ,£55 a pair seems a fair price?

http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/HagShocksPr.htm

BB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.