Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1200 front wheel

999 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  RayandTracy 
#1 ·
imported post

I have never rode a goldwing before but I bought an 85 limited that has been seating for a number of years. After a few repairs I tried it out and the front end feel as if something is loose and while leaning in a curve it feels as if the front wheel wobbles.I find a slight drag of the brake on the front right side,fork seals have left a slight dirt ring at top of travel no oil yet. Wheel bearings feel good and no play in the bearing it top of the forks. I would think that there is a problem but am at a loss.Has any of you came across this before? Melp

#2 ·
imported post

First thing, do you have a new tire on there? if not get one on there.

Dirty around fork seals is first sign of leak might as well fix it now.

Front wheel Bearings are cheap 15-18 bucks for allwheel bearing at www.denniskirk.com

Not much to change if you are creatative, I used a 1/2 inch dia.bolt and punch to remove bearings. easier than the manual suggests. Rear wheel I used 3/4 inch dia.bolt and punch.. same meathod.

Check your torque on the bolts for the front tire to include axle and 4 bolts that hold axle keepers in place.

Someone else will be along shortly to help you:action:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

#3 ·
imported post

You may also want to check the front tire for low air pressure, 36/38 psi is the minimum.... And welcome to the forum. :gunhead:

#4 ·
imported post

You trie may have inurred a flat spot. The brakes may be dragging as you suspected and . If you are seeing alot of dirt over the fork dust caps I would lift the caps off and use some aerosol oil to flush the debris out of there before they get cought in the seals and create a problem.

#6 ·
imported post

As already recommended unless the tire is new change it immediately. Odds are it has some cupping from being run under inflated and that is what you are feeling. Any tire that has sat for a "number of years" is unsafe especially in the front position.

#7 ·
imported post

85? I'd bet if it has any left it's the original fish oil in the forks. That would also explain the "fork seals have left a slight dirt ring at top of travel no oil yet"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.