Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have an 87 Aspencade that has developed a wee problem.

It appears to be starving for fuel. i have reached this conclusion as it starts well nad goes well untill you open it up. eg when passing at 100 kph and rapid accellerating to 130kph it doesn't happen. Feels like its missing but I don't think it is.

I have changed the plugs just in case but it has made no difference.

Also the fuel pump ticks when you turn the key on prior to starting. I don't recall it doing this prior to this fault developing, but of course it may have and I didn't notice.

I'm hoping some of you more experienced wingers will have a simple answer. I've only had mine for about a fortnight.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

ANDREW Try changing the fuel filter also check your air filter. If the bike has not been used for any considerable time you could also ad some ATF to the fuel and take the bike for a good run. Hope this is of some help.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Shrek Snr

Have already checked fuel filter. Did not remove but blew through it and was clear.

Also bike has done over 2000 mile in the last 2 weeks

Will check air filter

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Andrew If your bike was running ok and this problem has just started it sounds like it would be fuel related. Bad petrol, air mixture, what colour were the plugs.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

plugs looked fine. No carbon build up.

I have been running 91 unleaded and its been Ok but have just topped up 2/3 with 96 to see if it would help. Have done 20km on this but no difference

Andrew

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Some stuff to check in no particular order :gunhead:

My 1200 pump ticks , means its working OK I reckon, there's s real messy way to check though...;-) Tis easy enough to disconnect all the fuel pump, fuel filter pipes blow through [both ways] and check for damaged or soft areas where the pipes may be prone to collapse due to age, if in doubt change it out.

Check the condition of the HT leads from the coil to the plug , spark breaking down under load , HT coil or lead damage - more likely under damp conditions

Other things to check - whip off the top of each carb and check the diaphragm is not spilt or damaged, make sure the piston moves cleanly up and down through the carb and there are no scratches or tight spots, easily polished out or replaced. Check the mixture screws are still blanked off, if the have been drilled out, suspect that the mixture is not set properly, to do this you will need a manual and a tachometer follow the rev drop offprocedure for adjusting the mixture. [pain in the arse but necessary]

When was the last time the Carbswere balanced ? does the bike appear to be vibrating more than expected? Granted they would have to very far out...:)

http://www.carbtune.com

Does the misfire happen if you rev the bike when standing still? from tick over gradually increase revs to around 4000 is there a point where the revs start to drop off even though you are still slowly increasing the throttle? - if solook under the tank there is a T piece where the vacuum pipe goes into ignition unit, put a vacuum gauge on it confirm whether the vacuum stays constant or drops off at the time of the rev drop off or misfire. If So Could be the purge valve.

Misfires could be signs that the pickup coils are starting to break down , usually followed by a complete stop, wait a while for the bike to cool down , starts and runs OK.common enough fault, difficult to check without the right gear easy enough to replace though, and you can change those timing belts while your on!;)

Hope some of this helps:clapper:

BB

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Hi guys,

I'm new to Wings, but if this sort of thing happened to a car it COULD be related to the timing advance mechanism being faulty. So could it not be that either the vacuum or mechanical timing advance is off?

Jack

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Could be the fuel pump going bad. Any way to check the pressure under load?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks heaps Guys. You have given me lots of things to try.

I'm really glad I found this page. I know of no other forum in the world where you can access good useful infomation such as this. Goldwings provide a unique experience in more ways that one.

Andrew

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Try disconnecting the fuel line at the carburetor end and see how much fuel the pump delivers and if there's air or frothing caused by a bad pump diaphragm or air being sucked onto the system.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thought I would post the answer to the problem for future reference.

Crap in the fuel tank!!! Yes that was all. A bit of residue was obscuring the fuel **** and preventing full fuel flow.

I had checked the filter etc by removing as you do. I had checked the fuel pump etc. I had checked just about everything. Fuel would flow from the tank but when you demanded high flow it would not come as the cosk was partially obscured.

As I had put a higher grade fuel in it to try and hot it up and burn away potential problem, my local mechanic suggested this was a bad idea, so I decided to drain the tank. Siphon rubber in the tank, blow in the hose, agitates things up, problem gone.

So to complete the fix all I need to do is flush the tank to clean.

Nice and simple

Thanks for all your help

Andrew

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
Also the fuel pump ticks when you turn the key on prior to starting. I don't recall it doing this prior to this fault developing, but of course it may have and I didn't notice.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Normal. The pump will tick to pressurise the carburetors to compensate for fuel evaporation. The pressure rises till the switch in the fuel pump makes, then it stops.

Replace the fuel filter and fuel lines also, a tiniest bit of grit in the fuel pump can destroy it when it lodges in a check valve and fuel pressure goes away.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Hopefully you still post here, but I just bought an 84 wing and the fuel pump ticks all the time. Was told that was normal but that doesn't sound right. Should I replace fuel filter?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site Tubbinator! :waving::waving:

On your model 1200 the pump runs off the ignition coil primary pulses and will pump when the engine is cranked or run. It will get a pulse each time the coil fires, there will be a tick each timewhether there's any fuel being pushed into the carbs or not. The SEI and LTD modelshad fuel injection and had a different pump, an electric one that built up pressure when you turned the key on and then only ticked over as the fuel was used.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Tubbinator wrote:
Hopefully you still post here, but I just bought an 84 wing and the fuel pump ticks all the time. Was told that was normal but that doesn't sound right. Should I replace fuel filter?
Tubbinator, that pump is powered up from the fuel pump relay & that fuel pump relay is actuated from oneof the ign coil's ign box's grounding that circuit in a pulsating mannerBUT, the relay doesn't pulsate as it just stays closed due to the closely spaced pulses.. (basically the the pump is powered up any time the engine is cranking or running).. If that pump relay closed on every ignition cycle that relay would be vibrating at 7,000 cycles per minute at high engien RPM's.. That just can't happen.. Also the pump internals can't cycle at that many cycles per minute..The power supplied to the pump by the relayis continuous (not pulsed) so the pump can run anytime the carbs need fuel..
There is a fuel pressure regulating contact point set inside the fuelpump coverthat allows the pump to run (click) as long as the carbs need fuel (basically when the engine is running).. So it will pretty well click along anytime the engine is running (the pump speed does increase with fuel demand so it would click faster as the carbs need more fuel at higher RPM's or engine load)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

AndrewL
I had a fuel pump go bad on my 85 ASPY this past summer.I don't ever remember hearing any noise from the pump untill the bike quit and I started to play with it.If the carb bowls are dry it would click untill the bowls fill but after that it only runs when fuel pressure drops.It does't pump constantly.There is a set of points under the end cap of the fuel pump that burn up after a while(at least thats what happened to mine)If you put your hand on the outboard end of the pump when the bike is running and it is hot its a good bet the points are pitted.If it is don't trust the pump.Mine didn't act up untill it died on the road.It happened so fast I thought I hit the kill button.If I had kept the bike I would have bought a spare pump(It was the only time I've ever had to be trailered home).I was just thinking if the pump was being over worked because of the blockage it might not be in very good shape,and not very trust worthy.

Fatwing Chris
89 GL1500

P.S.I tried to gravity feed the carbs to get home,by bypassing the pump.Didn't work for me.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

As far as I know the electric fuel pump only runs after an ignition spark cycle. Essentially it runs to refill the carb with petrol after ignition occurs.

At high RPM under load it will click quite rapidly but at low RPM you can hardly notice its operation.

If it ran constantly there would be a good chance that it could overcome the needle valves in the carbs.

Vic

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.