Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, I'm home from offshore and was hoping to ride my new (to me) 84 Aspencade. Problem is I'm trying to get my fuel pump to work. The mechanic that was working on the bike for me brought it to the house yesterday and was gravity feeding fuel to the carbs and the bike ran just fine.

The first pump I bought on Ebay was DOA so I returned it and purchased another from a salvage yard. Does the pump have to be primed with gas before I install it on the bike? Also, I'm guessing that the fuel supply on the 84 is demand from the fuel tank, not gravity. Is that correct? If so, should I make sure the supply line, including the fileter, from the petcock is full of fuel so the pump can create a suction?

It's frustrating because these pumps are hard to find and when you do find one it's rather expensive. If anyone has any reliable sources for these pumps please let me know.

I would really love to ride her before I head back offshore for another month or more. If anyone can offer any additional troubleshooting tips or testing methods I can use to determine if this pump is bad I would be grateful.

Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
imported post

If you have checked or replaced the fuel filter and you know that isnt a problem you can check the fuel pump.

There is an after market pump by mister gasket that you may find will solve the problem.

I havnt used it but it was suggested here a while ago.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
689 Posts
imported post

Hello,

The fuel pump only kicks in when there is demand for it, fuel is gravity fed until then.

I mostly hear the pump, (it ticks) when the choke is on, and the motor cold, normal running I never hear it, although sometimes heard by some folks idling at lights etc.

good luck,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

oldishwinger wrote:
Hello,

The fuel pump only kicks in when there is demand for it, fuel is gravity fed until then.

I mostly hear the pump, (it ticks) when the choke is on, and the motor cold, normal running I never hear it, although sometimes heard by some folks idling at lights etc.

good luck,
If the fuel is gravity fed then my supply line and fuel filtershould fill with fuel with fuel when the petcock is opened?

Does the Mister Gasket pump replace the OEM pump or is it to supplement the existing pump?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
imported post

Xtracho wrote:
oldishwinger wrote:
Hello,

The fuel pump only kicks in when there is demand for it, fuel is gravity fed until then.

I mostly hear the pump, (it ticks) when the choke is on, and the motor cold, normal running I never hear it, although sometimes heard by some folks idling at lights etc.

good luck,
If the fuel is gravity fed then my supply line and fuel filtershould fill with fuel with fuel when the petcock is opened?

Does the Mister Gasket pump replace the OEM pump or is it to supplement the existing pump?
I believe it replaces it.

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
689 Posts
imported post

yes, with the petcock open, the filter, and the line to the pump, should fill with fuel.


cheers,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

oldishwinger wrote:
yes, with the petcock open, the filter, and the line to the pump, should fill with fuel.


cheers,
Thanks, that's a big help because with the petcock open and the supply line disconnected, I'm getting only a little trickle of fuel. I must have and obstruction or the petcock needs to be removed and cleaned. Does that sound about right? The bike sat for about a year before I bought it so that valve may be gunked up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
689 Posts
imported post

Yep, definitely sounds like the petcock needs looking at, it may be an idea to look at your fuel tank as well, it may need a good clean also.

If you haven't already done so, renew the fuel lines, and filter too.


good luck,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

oldishwinger wrote:
Yep, definitely sounds like the petcock needs looking at, it may be an idea to look at your fuel tank as well, it may need a good clean also.

If you haven't already done so, renew the fuel lines, and filter too.


good luck,
Thanks again for all your help. The fuel lines/filter are all new. So that would make the petcock/fuel tank issue the probable suspect. I suppose I can search the forum for the best technique to clean the tank. Don't think I'll have too much trouble removing the petcock and cleaning it/replacing the O-rings.

If you have any more advice please do not hesitate as I am grateful to all for their help. I'm going nuts not being able to ride my wing for the first time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
689 Posts
imported post

Know what you mean, when I got my 86 aspy, it seemed like everything I looked at needed attention, but you are in for a treat, they really are a very classy ride.


all the best, good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
imported post

I found the pump needs priming. I used another piece of hose attached to the pump output and sucked the fuel through, the attached the output line.

Double check your fuel filter, and have a look inside the tank. If you have rust in there, your intake screen could be clogged due to sediments pump. You can clear it temporarily by blowing back through the pump input hose.

I like to stick a strong magnet to the front left corner of the "floor" of the tank to catch anything wandering around
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
imported post

If your only getting a trickle of fuel out of the petcock then the tank requires attention. The fuel gravity feed from the tank will prime the pump. I've replaced many fuel pumps and never primed one. Natures gravity force works miracles.:waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
imported post

If the fuel level is below the petcock level, there will be no gravity flow. If the lines are completely full of fuel at the time the level drops below the petcock, siphoning takes over.

Empty lines and fuel level below the petcock? Prime the pump.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:
If the fuel level is below the petcock level, there will be no gravity flow. If the lines are completely full of fuel at the time the level drops below the petcock, siphoning takes over.

Empty lines and fuel level below the petcock? Prime the pump.
Yes, the lines are empty below the petcock. I put 3 gallons of fresh gas in the tank yesterday before trying to start the bike. There is only a trickle of flow from the petcock. This morning I'll be investigating the tank and petcock.

Priming the pump was a thought and I'll do that. The magnet idea is genius!

Thanks ob1! Anything else you can think of hit me with it!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

AVA AUTO TECH wrote:
If your only getting a trickle of fuel out of the petcock then the tank requires attention. The fuel gravity feed from the tank will prime the pump. I've replaced many fuel pumps and never primed one. Natures gravity force works miracles.:waving:
Thanks AVA. Maybe a good investigation of the tank and petcock is the ticket. Since the bike sat for a while the tank is probably suspect. I read many threads last nite in the archives about cleaning the tank while it's still on the bike and it appears there are many opinions on that. Do you have any insight or suggestions? I don't want to pull the tank from the bike unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

OK.....I siphoned off the fuel out of the tank and sucked the rest out with my shop vac. To get to the last little bit I used some clear tubing and just stuck it in the business end of the shop vac. It's pretty dry.

Poured in 2 quarts of Evapo-Rust and sloshed it around in the tank. I know that's not nearly enough but it was all my local parts store had at the time.

Before sucking the remaining fuel from the tank with the shop vac, I stuck a piece of clear tubing on the petcock and blew into it. After a couple of strong breaths whatever was clogging the outlet broke loose and I could hear bubbles in the tank.

Every half hour or so I'll slosh the Evapo-Rust around in the tank and let it sit for several hours. Then I'll vacuum out the Evapo-Rust just as I did the fuel, rinse with water, drain, dry, fill with fresh fuel & Sea Foam. Hopefully this will get me running somewhat until I can get enough Evapo-Rust to treat the entire tank.

As always, everyone's advice, admonitions, criticism, etc. is appreciated.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
imported post

Dont use a shop vac! That could be a explosion hazard.

But if you do, video tape it, I only want 10% of your Funniest Home Videos proceeds!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

LOL...I call it a shop vac but it's actually a marine duty diaphragm pump. The power source is totally separate from the holding tank and it's powered by compressed air. So, you'll have to wait for me to do something else stupid for your royalties. (The wait probably won't be too long.... just ask my wife!)
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top