Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:?

Tomorrow I am going to view an '86 1200. The seller tells me that there is a problem with the fuel pump. Presuming that this IS the problem , how big a job is it and is the pump available.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

The 1200 fuel pump is very easily replaced in a simple fashion. It is available from many sources used or new. Before I would replace it though, check the fuse and connectors supplying power to the pump because this electric pump rarely fails, in my experience. The problem may just lie in the fuel filter.

Vic

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Goldwinger1984. I am buying my first Wing, so please excuse my ignorance.

Where is the pump fuse, and the filter for that matter?:shock:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Declan, the fuse is under the false tank and the little pastic odds & ends holder. The easy way to test the pump itself is to run two wires from the battery to the pump and see if it runs then. The pump is on thr right side rear of engine and has a chrome cover on it.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Bikebandit is fine for locating parts for purchase Declan, but I assume you are looking for help checking out the pump. I've attached the page from my workshop manual that covers this;

Attachments

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

:)

Thanks Eamonn and thats exactly what I need.

I will chech out this machine tomorrowand will probably

needmore advice then.

Thanks also to all the other members--Alan, GW1984,Corneo for the help.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

:cool: Looks like I may be getting my first wing. She is a 1986 Interstate (US IMPORT), Needs a good polish and it looks like the problem is the pump- coils have been replaced. Is there anyone in the Dublin area availible this week tocheck it out for me (expenses paid).:coollep:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Sometimes a few taps on the pump body spur it back into life, for a while anyway.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

:clapper:I will be getting my first Wing on Monday (If the rain stops). I will be needing some parts eg. Fuel pump, Timing belts and maybe pulse generators, Can these be sourced in Ireland ??.Also whatgrade of oil is recomended. The bike is a 1986 1200, can this use unleaded petrol or do i need to use the lead additive?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Have fun... I've got an 86 Aspy and love it... :)

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

Hi Declan, good luck with your 1200. The timing belts can be got from motor factors, aftermarket ones. The numbers for them are on the Tips page on this site. You might have to order them and wait a day or two, but you will save about 70% on Hondas prices. Pulse genny and stuff like that you might have to get used from the UK as they are an arm and a leg over here.

Unleaded is fine. All Winds have always been prepped for unleaded (not sure about the gw1000) and no adjustment for timing is needed.

Oil is a personal taste thing, but most people I know use 20w/50 on anything earlier than a GL1500. The thicker oils is better suited for the 4 cylinder Wings I believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.