Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1984 GL Goldwing Standard (California version)
25,000 miles, no mods.

After storing the bike for the winter, I am having a problem with the fuel pump. It will operate (pump fuel) when I put 12VDC and ground directly to the fuel pump plug, but it appears the fuel pump relay is not energizing it.

I see from the wiring diagram in my Haynes repair manual that the fuel pump relay gets an input from the electronic module. Does anyone know what parameters must be met for the module to correctly operate the fuel pump relay?

As the pump appears to have an internal pressure switch which turns it off when the carbs are full, would any harm be done by simply energizing the fuel pump from the iginition circuit?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Fred

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
These pics are for 85 Interstate but there shouldn't be too much difference.

The way the circuit is designed is more of a safety concern, if the engine stop running, the pump doesnt pump.

Best not to stray too far from the manufacturers design.

But it is your bike, your decision

Attachments

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
The fuel cut relay is really a safety switch instead of a real relay, in that it only feeds the pump when the coils fire, so if the engine isn't running the pump won't run. The test procedure in the manual tells you to short the black and white wires on the plug so you can test the pump, but there's no real way to test the relay, because it only has three wires and is a solid-state device, like a MOSFET or something. You can still get them from Honda for about $50US online, if you were to find you really need one. I don't know what you'd use in place of the Honda part (36100-MB1-701), because anything else would just stay on with the key and also load the ignition circuit down.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GL 1200 Fuel Pump

Thanks fellas. The safety explanation makes sense to me. I'll replace the "relay" and be back in action.

Best regards,
Fred

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Before I replaced any parts I'd confirm that the pump is not running while you are cranking it. Very simply pull the fuel out hose, to the carbs, and put the open end into a suitable container. Kill switch in run and ignition is "On" hit the starter. You should see fuel coming out of the hose.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
The fuel pump takes a while to fill the carbs.
My 84 Interstate would start almost immediately everytime I hit the switch.

Because of circumstances I had to leave her sit for about 2 months and first startup took a lot of cranking to get her running and then she ran poor for about 30 secs. I would surmise bowls were nearly empty.

Well I had to move so I transported her on a trailer and had went about 8 weeks since last running her when I pulled the carbs down. The bowls were nearly empty when I pulled them down for overhaul.

In Randakks book and many other places, they recommend pre-charging the carbs with fuel to test for leaks but also to make starting easier.
Mostly it is because of that Fuel pump doesn't run unless she is firing/cranking to start.

When I put her all back together and hit the switch, she started immediately and no rough running.

So the takeaway from this. Your wing sat for the winter. Good chance the carbs are dry or nearly so. That coupled with any leftover crud from last year you may not be getting fuel in the bowls or very little. It will take a long time to get enough in there for her to run.

Try charging them with a syringe to the fuel inlet until you feel resistance on that syringe. Mine took about 170cc or so as I remember.

hope that helps get her running again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.