Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
fuel Pump

ANY suggestions. I picked up a 1985 Gl1200 Aspencade that I am trying to get running. Bike starts and runs with the help of quick start, but wont keep running. I pulled the fuel line off fuel pump going to carbs cranked motor and no fuel. I put a test light on connector to fuel pump and got a little flicker when I turned on the key. Should test light come on when connector is touched with key on.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
One suggestion, 1 thread is plenty enough, someone will see it.....

Also, the GL1200 fuel pump, if memory serves, only gets power all the time when the engine is running. Not like the old fuel pumps on old cars that ran whenever the key is on. The fuel pump is tied directly to a realy and the ICM.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Simple test would be to pull the fuel line off where it attaches to the carbs. Extend the line with another and Place a suitable catch container under it. Turn on ignition and crank. You'll see in a hurry if its working. I saw your other post. If you bike starts after sitting a while and then dies, it could be collapsed fuel lines which swell shut on the inside while looking fine on the outside. They allow just a dribble through them. When you first pull the line they appear fine, but if allowed to drain, slw to a trickle. After that I'm guessing you jets are plugged. Idle jet on 1200 is very small.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did disconnect fuel line to carb, cranked engine and no fuel came out. Carbs were just rebuilt. Bike runs off quick start as long as keep spraying it keeps running. No Fuel.
Power to fuel pump wire connector when cranked over

·
Registered
819 Posts
The way I test 1200 fuel pumps.

Disconnect the fuel pump outlet hose and run a hose to a container.

Trace the wires from the fuel pump back.
With the seat and tank cover removed there will be connector right near where the front of the seat is.
Separate this connector and jumper the fuel pump directly to a power source (Battery) If the pump comes on and pumps then start looking at the Fuel Pump relay and wiring.
If it does not come on then the fuel pump is bad.

If it comes on but does not pump then it could still be the pump or a restriction in the fuel line or clogged filter.

Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.