Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel tank isn't venting. Is there a diaphram in the cap? I'm leary to use carb cleaner if there is a rubber diaphram in there. I removed the rubber seal and am boiling the cap on the stove right now. Any ideas?

Scott

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
How do you know it is not venting? Is the bike dying?
It is supposed to have a bit of pressure in the tank so you should get a little 'whoosh' when you pull the cap off.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is major Hoover suction going on in there. Lately, after parking or putting the bike on the center stand there is a loud whistling noise. This was only funny after I realized what was making this loud, long lasting, noise. I boiled the cap for about 5 minutes and sprayed it full of Walmart Super Tech Lubricant, good solvent. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas why this vent is slow acting and what to do about it. There really is, almost, enough suction building up in there to collapse the tank.

Scott

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I soaked it in sea foam over night it helped now she talks a little quieter. let me know if the boiling works.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wish I could put vacuum or air to it so that the mystery valve could be moved for cleaning and lubing but there are too many holes to plug it up good enough to do that. I could get another cap but that wouldn't be any fun. Boiling did remove the lacquer gum that I could see.

Scott

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
The first time mine made that noise my wife thought it was going to explode. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
This is a BS thread, that's why you're not hearing from the smart guys like glhonda, ken Bergen, et. al.

The gas cap is only CONTINUOUSLY exposed to refined petroleum fumes. Gee, no reason to use carb cleaner on it. BS!

P.S. Obviously, I'm venting just fine, thank you.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
The whistling noise could be a sign the cap IS venting.
By the way Scott, is this your gl1200 or 1000?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
This is a BS thread, that's why you're not hearing from the smart guys like glhonda, ken Bergen, et. al.

The gas cap is only CONTINUOUSLY exposed to refined petroleum fumes. Gee, no reason to use carb cleaner on it. BS!

Gee that was helpful. :ROFL: :wtf:

Pressure is normal and should be a whoosh when the cap is opened and pressure released, especially if low on fuel and been riding awhile so all is hot.

Having a vacuum which whistles like a train and acts like a vacuum cleaner is not normal though, so not a BS thread as there is some problem there.

Sure the cap is not immersed in gas all the time, but it does suck air and moisture and could rust if metal parts, or otherwise get plugged up and is maybe 15-30 years old? LOL

After riding there should be a pressure trying to get out, not a vacuum trying to get in, a vacuum on the tank also means the fuel pump is going to have to work much harder to suck the fuel from the tank if a vacuum is trying to pull into the tank thus trying to keep the fuel in the tank.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Sorry to upset you.

Fitz, this is happening on my 1200. It's been soaking up the Super Tech lube over night.

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I'm not sure what is in the cap for parts. I'd soak it in a rubber safe penetrating oil to lube it up, dissolve any rust, clean out any gunk like built up clogged dust balls, etc.

Put it on and ride normal but every so often loosen it to let vacuum off if needed.
I don't know how fast or how much vacuum is built up in there, maybe every 50 miles or 100 miles loosen the cap. More often if needed, less often if needed.

Some soaking and riding and more soaking may get things loosened up in there and cleaned out.

That is also a way to put a vacuum on the cap if you want. Get it good and filled with lube/cleaner then put it on and ride, if the tank pulls a vacuum then you have a vacuum on the cap!

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last night I boiled the cap for a few minutes. I placed the cap upside down in a plastic food container and sprayed it with the Super Tech Lubricant. Upside down the cap held some of the lubricant to soak over night. This morning there was quite a lot of crud on the cap and in the food container. I blew the cap out with compressed air and a lot more crud came out, not rust but light orange small particles like what can be found in a float bowl. After blowing it out I sprayed it up again and blew it out again. The cap must be cleaner now and the valve, diaphram or whatever should be moving easier than before.

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I had some major issues with mine when I first got my bike. I had bigger fish to fry with the other stuff I was doing to fix this bike up so I got creative…

I removed the seal from the cap, laid it on my bench and cut 3 little “V” grooves from the center of the seal to the outside edge. Maybe ¼ to 1/3 the depth of the seal. Very small amounts which is why I did 3 of them.

My problems instantly went away. Remember, this was just a temporary fix.

That was about 26k km ago… thanks for reminding me to Fix It! Hahahahaha . I think I will keep the temp fix the working fix. I completely forgot about my temp fix!

Tim.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just went for a ride and opened the fuel tank afterwards. Instead of a whoosh, it was more like a fizz.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
This is a problem many of us have had to resolve. The cap was designed to vent in both directions. When operating properly it will allow air in when running to fill the space left behind by gasoline going to the carbs. If it has become compromised in that direction a vacuum will form that may collapse or cause fuel flow to be reduced causing the bike to stop running.

When the bike isn't running and the contents of the tank heat up the cap is supposed to allow fumes to escape. When it fails in this manner the buildup of pressure will cause the tank to bulge or force the fuel to leak out at the weakest point. Mine failed in this manner and it blew out the seals in the petcock.

If you cap is like the one on my 83 you'll see that the top is crimped on. I suppose if your good with working with metals you could get the top off and possibly repair the problems. I elected to take a very small drill bit, probably 1/16" and drill down through the top of the cap to the area below the top flange. It solved my problem.

The cap, at least for the 84 Standard is still available from Honda for $85.02 from MR Cycles. I don’t know of an aftermarket replacement at least for my 83.

Hope this helps!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts

I admit I am no rocket scientist, but... Wow.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Gee, and I was just getting ready to throw in my two cents........:ROFL:
Chromo pretty much said it. The woosh isn't abnormal, but the whistle is.
There's something about sitting on five plus gallons of fuel that makes me think I'd like to have the cap working correctly.
You guys are welcome to experiment all you want. I'll replace mine when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys are welcome to experiment all you want. I'll replace mine when the time comes.[/QUOTE said:
Don't count on it being available for very much longer. Parts bikes and salvage parts may dry up sooner than you expect too.

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Radiator Cap NAPA – 703-1443 rad cap: NAPA part no. 31333 $18.69
Stant – 10227 Stant GL1200 radiator cap is now 31333 rather than 10227. 07/03/27
Honda part no. 19045-MB0-013 $39.60

Prices could have changed recently

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Are you sure that the gas tank is supposed to be vented? When I first bought a 1200 a couple of year ago, one if the first things I read was that the gas tank is pressurized. It can't hardly be pressurized if it is vented now can it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.