Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For anybody just tuning in, it's an '87 Interstate with over a quarter of a million miles on the odometer.

They were amazingly trouble-free miles until the carburetors developed a glitch.

Lately it's been the combination of pressure in the tank, combined with a non-functional petcock and one or moresticky floats, or more likely float valves. There is a recent thread on that, but...

I drained the oil and it smelledlike I drained the gas tank. After getting about 5.5 quarts ofgoil (gas & oil mix)out of my 3.7 quart crankcase,pure gas continued trickling out for another 5 minutes or so, and then continued to drip as long as I was out there.

Two spark plugs, possiblythree were wet. However, the color of the plugs was perfect.

Thisall is in addition to the original problem from two years ago with the carbs going out of sync just as the throttle is opened.

I really am at a loss.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

you still have a stuck float/s and its letting the gas into the cylinders as the bike sits idle you need to turn off the petcock when you park the bike untill you fix the problem as you may hydro lock the engine and cause damage when you try to start it

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you should pull off your fuel line and or plug it to stop your fuel flow until you can replace or rebuild your petcock.It sounds obvious the carbs need to come off and be addressed.You definatly have fuel bleeding into your crankcase.After finding your problem(stuck floats,contaminated needles or seats,bad float levels)you can bench test the carbs by hooking up a fuel line to them and see if they leak or not.As Peter has stated you are flirting with hydrolocking and you shurly dont want to play that game.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

if the petcock is turned off then the gas is draining from the float bowles as the bike sits so you are adding a little more to the crankcase every time you rest the bike

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

moonhead wrote:
Sorry Im confused as in your first post you stated you have a "non functional petcock"
Yes, I actually have 3 non-functional petcocks. Non-functional as in, turning it to the off position doesn'tseem slow the flow of fuel, let alone stop it.

Just a small part of a now overwhelming problem.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

the best thing you do Dennis is drop a lighted match in the tank to see have you any gas left to burn the bike

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
the best thing you do Dennis is drop a lighted match in the tank to see have you any gas left to burn the bike
That's one option........

Dennis, what the heck are you doing?

You have a petcock that won't turn off, needles and seats that don't work, and you're pulling the radiator and the exhaust???????

Just what are you working on?? Turn signals?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Buy a new 1800 under an assumed name like WEXY:ROFL:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

glhonda wrote:
Dennis, what the heck are you doing?

You have a petcock that won't turn off, needles and seats that don't work, and you're pulling the radiator and the exhaust???????

Just what are you working on?? Turn signals?
Actually, just the basic 10K clean & tune. Also, since it's apart, I'm going to loosen and correctly re tighten all the engine mounting bolts. I have a very annoying rattle going on at lower RPMs since the shop did the stator and clutch. And, there's the high beam indicator bulb, and...well you get the picture.

I can't do anything about the petcock. The needles and seats, I just can't afford right now, but I have to do something so the carbs will come off yet again.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

I'm sure someone makes an inline valve you can install between the petcock and the filter. All you're sacrificing is the hose.

And good luck with the "WEXY" thing. It didn't work for me....

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
I'm sure someone makes an inline valve you can install between the petcock and the filter. All you're sacrificing is the hose.
+1.. any well stocked lawn mower shop will have these... don't attache to anything.. just cut the hose and insert..

Attachments

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I've tried to find one of those shut off valves, but they are all 1/4 inch. '87 uses larger fuel line.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the petcock leaks you're wasting a lot of your time working on the carbs. You might check out Randakk's website, he has rebuild kits for the 1000 and 1100. I don't know if those parts will fit the 1200 but he could tell you.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks Paul. Those rebuild kits won't fit an '87. I have one if anybody needs it. It was only a buck or so from Honda.

It may work on earlier GL12 petcocks. You'll just have to drill it apart and tap it for screws to reassemble.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

A real head scratcher Dennis., i would try to solve the tank presurizing prob. first by replacing the cap and /or checking for a malfunctioning tank venting system if applicable to your model. Chances of 3 new petcocks not shutting off fuel steers me to over pres. from the tank forcing fuel past the petcocks and float valves into the motor.
I notice your in Arizona were heat is a factor when the bike is parked and gas fumes will expand in a sealed tank.?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I get what you are saying Machinhead, unfortunately all the petcocks really are worn out. Before the original started leaking, as with all fuel shut off systems, the bike would run out of gas and stall if the petcock was closed. With any of the three I have now, I could drive up to see youand never turn the gas on. ???

I don't understand how all three can be like this, but they are. Even the original is that way now.:stumped:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.