Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Question: Can a stuck gascock cause leakage from carbs? My 87 Interstate has a problem which to me is strange. When I have the gascock fully opened I seem to have leaks in my overflow, then when I close it fully the bike still runs but no leak is apparent. It seems to be comming out of the top overflows. Any help, PLEASE!!!! This is new problem..I just keep on plugging along:praying:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Do not the 87 have auto petcock function
Wilf

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

You have stuck float valves. Must be something blocking 1 or more float valves from stopping the flow of gas into the bowls. It can flood into the cylinders and the oil.
This will cause hydrolock and you can bend rods and valves. Be sure and shut off the petcock and check the cylinders for gas by pulling the spark plugs. If gas is in the cylinders, turn over engine with kill sw off to push out the gas. then change the oil and filter.
Sometimes you can clear it. After above is done, start bike w/petcock in the off position till it dies of no gas, shut off ign sw. Then open petcock and at the same time tap several times with soft hammer lightly, or a large screwdriver handle on the carb bodies to try & dislodge the chunk. If it doesn't do it, you will have to clean your carbs.
Check your tank for rust and change the gas filter.
Have you run Seafoam in the gas?
Always shut off the petcock when finished riding. It can drain you gas tank and cause a fire from the fumes if there is a spark.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,761 Posts
imported post

Sounds like your petcock is slowing the fuel, but not stopping the flow. I have 3 '87 petcocks doing the same thing. Be aware that no other year will fit on the '87. It is bigger and the tank mount isdifferent to accept it. I can walk you through a rebuild.

I think Newday is right about the float valve, or maybe a float is dead. Either way, your carbs will have to come off. It's not a job for scaredy-cats, or fools with tools.

The good thing is that most of the parts are still available from Honda if you need something. Slides, though, are not. Hopefully you will be lucky and not need those because the alternatives are not cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.