Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello folks. kindly new here but will try to be as clear as i can.

my husbands newest love HardHead which is a 1986 GL1200 Honda Goldwing Aspencade SE-I . after we got married in 2002 my husband gave up his goldwing and settled down to a different life. well here 11 years later i know how badly he wanted another and i found this one. She is a nice ride but has a few kinks that need to be worked out.

~ first one is the rear air shocks. they are currently disconnected due to the shocks being broken(blown?) lol forgive me i don't know but all i know is they are inoperable. anyhow we are looking to replace them and i am looking at used shocks off of salvaged bikes and i keep getting told only the shocks say of an LTD will fit this model. before i invest money in anything i would like to know what year bikes i can use shocks off of for this bike that way we can save ourselves the headache of doing this more than once.

~second on is the signal lights don't work. it is fully dressed and all other lights work, emergency flashers work but signals don't. upon taking the seat off and checking the flashers we found that one feels like it clicks and the other doesn't. upon switching them we get no result. we removed the flashers to test where they were plugged into and upon insertion on a grounded tester something in the fairing around the steering head clicks. we have looked but have not found anything. my husband wants to know if this might be caused by the digital dash having an issue or something more complex. this leads me to my third issue.

~third one. the speedometer does not work. tachometer and rest of dash works fine(no blinking when signals are on only emergency) but that does not. again is this a dash issue or something more? my husband wants to know if this bike has a speedometer cable or gear box such as this one listed here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=230968918828

perhaps something else we have overlooked. i have tried to be as clear as i can as i am newbie in bike speak and my husband is a technophobe he does not deal with computers at all. this being said i am doing the best i can to find out this info for him so these repairs can go as smoothly and as informed as possible.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Your Hubby's SEi is not an Aspencade, it's a (S)pecial (E)dition fuel (i)njected, totally different animal.:ROFL:

The gear box you linked to is the correct one for the bike but before buying he must determine if if it's the gear box, the sensor bolted to the gear box or the instrument panel that is the problem. It could even be a bad connection or broken wire between the sensor and the panel.

Please in the future ask only one technical question per thread to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok

i apologize for the multiple question. i did not know.

if it is not an aspencade i wonder why the saddle bag has it on it then. in the top one behind the seat over the light in the back. (shrugs) maybe someone replaced it. who knows.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
i apologize for the multiple question. i did not know.

if it is not an aspencade i wonder why the saddle bag has it on it then. in the top one behind the seat over the light in the back. (shrugs) maybe someone replaced it. who knows.
Because Ken doesn't know what he's talking about. The SEI came with the aspencade badges.
Score one for smokymountainmomma.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:)

Because Ken doesn't know what he's talking about. The SEI came with the aspencade badges.

thanks. i wondered if i needed to go look again and thought i was seeing things. raining out at the moment did not really want to take that trip to the garage right now.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Hum, I've got a Boy Scout badge. Does that make me a Boy Scout?

Okay in the future I'll refer to it as a (S)pecial (E)dition fuel (i)njected Aspencade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok now

Hum, I've got a Boy Scout badge. Does that make me a Boy Scout?

Okay in the future I'll refer to it as a (S)pecial (E)dition fuel (i)njected Aspencade.
alright boys. lets just call it even. they added badges that said aspencade but it doesn't mean it's in that class. i get it .. it's like adding a chevy emblem on a ford.. it just don't make it so. i see there are 85 limited editions as well with some similar specs. it really is all confusing to me.. am just here for the info not a debate on some emblem on the bike. though i will it makes it a pain to hunt for parts for if it really isnt aspencade looks like they would try not to confuse people.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shocks

sence i need to post only one question at a time i figure i will go with the shocks sence that is what we are searching for at the moment. if anyone could let me know the years and model bikes i could get these off of would be very appreciated. i think we are just gonna have to remove the fairing and the digital dash to track down the other issues.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
sence i need to post only one question at a time i figure i will go with the shocks sence that is what we are searching for at the moment. if anyone could let me know the years and model bikes i could get these off of would be very appreciated. i think we are just gonna have to remove the fairing and the digital dash to track down the other issues.
glhonda may hit me upside the head:ROFL: but it is my belief that all GL1200 shocks are basically the same air over spring shocks, some models such as the (S)pecial (E)dition fuel (i)njected Aspencade have an on-board compressor to add air and others such as my Interstate just have a schrader valve to add air from an external supply.

·
Administrator
27,894 Posts
We really don't mind multiple questions, at least most of us. It is more than some can handle I guess.
On the signals, have you checked the fuses? The clicking may have been the position light relay activating because of the test probe.

I believe any 1200 shocks will work just fine.

Remove the speed sensor from the gear box on the wheel and spin the wheel to see if the shaft turns. Then if he has a soldering gun (not a soldering pencil or iron) hold it next to the sensor and pull the trigger, it should cause the speedometer to show speed. I am told a electric razor or hair clipper will also work.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Welcome to the forum (S)mokie (M)ountain (M)omma. Welcome to your 'puter-fearin' husband and the Aspencade (S)pecial (E)dition (i)njected as well.

I think the shocks you've lined up will be fine. Hope that's what you need as there can be problems at the pump that can drain off the air from a good shock.

As far as the signals go, yes it very well could be speedo related.

As other's have said, the speedo itself could be bad, or several components leading to it.

It may be a good idea for you to get a Honda Service Manual. With the SEi, I'd really advise the OEM book

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I didn't want to give the impression that Ken isn't knowledgeable. Unfortunately, it's just that he "nit picks" from time to time.
The badges were not added. It is an Aspencade SEI.
The '85 doesn't have LTD badges. The badges say Limited Edition. Honda refers to it as a GL1200L or GL1200L Limited.
We refer to them as LTD's and SEI's, but neither are actually correct. I don't recall ever seeing an "LTD" badge. Anyone?
So, now that we're done with symantecs, I agree with Ken on the shocks and speedo drive. The Limited and the SEI have a more complex air shock system (load leveling), but I'm pretty sure the rear shocks will swap out of any other 1200.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
alright boys. lets just call it even. they added badges that said aspencade but it doesn't mean it's in that class. i get it .. it's like adding a chevy emblem on a ford.. it just don't make it so. i see there are 85 limited editions as well with some similar specs. it really is all confusing to me.. am just here for the info not a debate on some emblem on the bike. though i will it makes it a pain to hunt for parts for if it really isnt aspencade looks like they would try not to confuse people.

Just so you know what you've got there.. The '86 Aspy SEi was the top of the line Goldwing for 1986 and I believe there were fewer built of those than the '85 Ltd Ed which had a run of a bit over 5000 models built. Both models were the ONLY fuel Injected GL 1200 models. From '84-'87 all the other models had a 4 carb set-up. Plus there were other differences like Cruise Control, Travel Computer, Auto level, 500watt charging system, Etc...

Let's talk about the shocks/suspension for a bit... You say the rear shocks have been disconnected. I'm assuming you mean the air lines have been disconnected. Just for grins and giggles how about hooking them back up and hit the auto level to see what happens?? Just make sure the bike is off the centerstand and either on the side stand or held up by someone seated on the bike. If the Auto level Computer is working correctly the front should pressurise to 16psi then switch to the rear and air it up till the level sensor switch turns the system off. If you have the bike on the centerstand the computer will read the bike's rear end as too high and try to remove air to lower the rear end..

If we're really lucky, the system will run and then we can find out if the Beastie is holding pressure... We'll go from there..

The turn signals?? Lemme check my manual. It's for the '85 year but it chould be close enough for what we want!!

Let us know what you find and Welcome to the Site!!

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
I didn't want to give the impression that Ken isn't knowledgeable. Unfortunately, it's just that he "nit picks" from time to time.
The badges were not added. It is an Aspencade SEI.
The '85 doesn't have LTD badges. The badges say Limited Edition. Honda refers to it as a GL1200L or GL1200L Limited.
We refer to them as LTD's and SEI's, but neither are actually correct. I don't recall ever seeing an "LTD" badge. Anyone?
So, now that we're done with symantecs, I agree with Ken on the shocks and speedo drive. The Limited and the SEI have a more complex air shock system (load leveling), but I'm pretty sure the rear shocks will swap out of any other 1200.

I think the '76 GL1000 had a LTD badge???

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
Remove the speed sensor from the gear box on the wheel and spin the wheel to see if the shaft turns. Then if he has a soldering gun (not a soldering pencil or iron) hold it next to the sensor and pull the trigger, it should cause the speedometer to show speed. I am told a electric razor or hair clipper will also work.

Inducing a pulse in the sensor from the items mentioned??? Dave, I LIKE that!!!! I'm gonna have to try that now!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Sei

1) any year 84-87 GW airshocks will work,problem is that since the mc is 27 years old any used shock probably needs a full rebuild including springs,especially since the SEI is about 50-70 lbs heavier than a standard aspencade

2) there are several fuses in the fusebox which might be blown

3) all models use the same gearbox at the wheel but Int,Aspy and SEI/LTD
also require a sender also, cable speedometers came on the standards and models with analog dashes

4)all sei's came with Aspencade badges on bags and trunk but they also had a small square gold
SEI badge after the aspencade one

pm sent

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I think the '76 GL1000 had a LTD badge???
That's because it was an LTD.
The side cover emblem had "Goldwing" written across the top.
"LTD" in the center.
With "gl1000" written across the bottom.

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
That's because it was an LTD.
The side cover emblem had "Goldwing" written across the top.
"LTD" in the center.
With "gl1000" written across the bottom.
Picky, picky, picky...:raspberry:

·
Administrator
27,894 Posts
Inducing a pulse in the sensor from the items mentioned??? Dave, I LIKE that!!!! I'm gonna have to try that now!!!!!!

Works for ignition PGs also.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have my air shocks from my 1984 forsale. They hold air and come with the lines and junction box. PM me if your interested

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.