Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing timing belts on a 1200. New belts are Gates T070, tension is good, tensioner bearings are good.

When placing the crankshaft at T1 the left camshaft marks are right on target, but, the right hand camshaft is off by 1/2 tooth, if I move the belt by one tooth the marks are off by the same distance the other way. Which way is right?

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
It doesn't matter, they always seem to be off by 1/2 tooth. Either direction is fine.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the quick reply. Freaked out too soon. After a couple of revolutions and setting the crankshaft back to T1, I am only off by about 2mm on both camshafts. Must be right ;).

Special thanks to Amazon for $10 Gates belts and free shipping:claps:.

Scott

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
If it is real close, and you can turn the engine over by hand several times without any interference, you are good to go.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
If you get that belt off by one tooth, it won't hurt anything but the bike sounds wierd, like a helicopter, and doesn't perform as well as it should.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.