Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is right place for this or not, but I couldn't really seeing it fit in any other forum. My 1200 has an issue with the bars hitting the mirrors when I have to turn the bars hard while backing the bike up. I tried to adjust them today to no avail, so I believe that the bars have been changed at some point in the past. What I need to know is does anyone know the original bar height for an 84 1200 and where might I find an oe spec replacement set? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Have you tried EvilBay? I see several there.

As I said on your other thread a picture of the problem would help.:grin:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,645 Posts
Might well be that the windscreen was replaced with a version that slopes back to far.

That is the situation I have on my GL1500, it has a Tulsa Tall or similar and the bars strike the windscreen on both sides. I just gave up and ignore it.

Later will replace the windscreen with one that sits more upright.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Loosen the handlebar clamps and lower the grips a little bit, that will increase the clearance.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I'm not sure if this is right place for this or not, but I couldn't really seeing it fit in any other forum. My 1200 has an issue with the bars hitting the mirrors when I have to turn the bars hard while backing the bike up. I tried to adjust them today to no avail, so I believe that the bars have been changed at some point in the past. What I need to know is does anyone know the original bar height for an 84 1200 and where might I find an oe spec replacement set? Any help would be appreciated.
How did you try to adjust them? You really didn't make that clear. To be hitting the stock mirrors you must have long reach arms as the bars must be rolled forward quite as bit.
Do you have the stock mirrors on still?
A couple pictures would help clearify, side shot, front and rear.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I think I know what the problem is. A Previous Owner put higher bars on so the wind on his hands would be shielded by the mirrors. But he should still be able to adjust them back a little unless they are like ape hangers or mini-apes...

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I think I know what the problem is. A Previous Owner put higher bars on so the wind on his hands would be shielded by the mirrors. But he should still be able to adjust them back a little unless they are like ape hangers or mini-apes...
Actually it would be lower bars as the stock ones are above the 84 mirrors when turned.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Good point Ken, I have to admit I was probably thinking of the master cylinders hitting the windshield rather than the handlebars hitting the mirrors.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
If you compare the levers in the two pictures I think the problem is the lever is bent forward. The blue one being the bike in question.

Attachments

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
If you compare the levers in the two pictures I think the problem is the lever is bent forward. The blue one being the bike in question.
So plskthompson sent you a picture or are guessing?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
The picture is from the bike in question and available at the gl1200goldwings forum.....

I leave the guessing up to you

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The picture is from the bike in question and available at the gl1200goldwings forum.....

I leave the guessing up to you
I have an 84 so I'm not guessing.
There is no way on Dog's Grey earth that a bent lever unless it was bent down 2" to 3" could contact the stock mirror with stock bars.

I'm no longer a member of gl1200goldwings and with the resent lock down I can't read posts much less view pictures.

If the OP chooses not to post the pictures here so be it.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Hey, dont get your knickers in a twist.....

All we are trying to do is help someone out here. Obviously the person figured he might get more help from a dedicated 1200 forum.

That was something I noticed and posted.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually guys, I have this same question posted in three or four places to get multiple points of view. The picture was from my sig. I haven't posted pictures Herr because I haven't been near a regular computer for a couple of days. I'm actually posting this from my phone. I won't see a normal computer until I get to work tomorrow, so I'll post pics of the issue then.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are the pictures as promised:

The left and right pics are as near full lock as I can get without having a second person there to take the pics. I'm pretty sure the levers have been replaced with some after market ones.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Looks like the bars just need to be loosened at the triple tree and rolled back a little. Someone has them too far forward. They look like stock height bars.

The wire looms in the first picture should be rerouted to the forward side of the bars and cable tied to the bars so they don't hang down and catch something or scratch the false tank shroud.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I attempted to pull the bars back and still had the issue with the levers, so I put them back where I thought they were. Pulling them back isn't an issue though, I can do that with no problem.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Here are pics of my '85 GL1200's handlebars taken just a few minutes ago, notice in the one the relationship of handlebar angle to fork tube angle. When I got her they were same angle .... I moved my handlebars backwards one notch of serations. The left and right hand grip - morror pics are at full lock.

:)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Suddenly it struck me, comparing those pictures it looks like the problem bike has aftermarket mirrors. Looks like the boots are different as well as the mirror shape.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Suddenly it struck me, comparing those pictures it looks like the problem bike has aftermarket mirrors. Looks like the boots are different as well as the mirror shape.

Good call on the mirrors, i had to scroll back up to see it again and your right those mirrors, while nice looking are at a different height and angle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.