Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, Ineed assistance on finding out why my goldwing 1200 makes a loud clanking sound while shifting into gear, either way, shifting up or down! All gears work fine, and shifting is smooth! Oil level is where it should be, just cant figure it out!

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Frankie, First off welcome to the forum. This is without a doubt the best on the web. As to your question. That is absolutley common on any of the 1200's. They all do to some degree or another. After a time you will no longer notice.:waving::waving::waving::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
imported post

:action:Welcome to the greatestforum on the net:action:
and
:action:Welcome from the "Hoosier State":action:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome Frankiebaby[/align]
[align=center]

[/align]

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Frankiebaby wrote:
Hi, Ineed assistance on finding out why my goldwing 1200 makes a loud clanking sound while shifting into gear, either way, shifting up or down! All gears work fine, and shifting is smooth! Oil level is where it should be, just cant figure it out!
On all ofmy bikes, Yam, Honda, Triumph, if the RPM's are a bit high the oil is working the gears like an automatic trans on a car. Same thing if the clutch doesn't have enough play.

JUST a shot in the dark from reading your few lines.

:action:

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum Frankiebaby! :waving:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Welcome. My '85 1200LTD does that too, and it really annoys me. I cringe every time I here it. I just know something is going to break eventually. No bike I've ever had made anywhere near that much noise while shifting, and none of my other 5 current bikes do it either. It actually was even much worse to begin with, until I got rid of the clumsy heel and toe shifter, and went back to stock pegs, shifter, and brake pedal. It now shifts noticeably smoother, and handles 10 times better. It actually feels like a motorcycle now. But that loud CLUNK is still there. I will not shift it into first from neutral with the engine running after it has come to a complete stop. After warming it up in the morning, I hit the kill switch, shift into first, then restart it. From then on, I leave it in gear all day, I park it in first, and I keep it in first at stoplights with the clutch pulled in.

I do this with all my other bikes as well, and have since I first started riding. Even bikes that shifted almost completely silently always made a loud CLUNK when shifted into first from neutral at a stop. To me it is like grinding the gears in a car, and can't be good for the transmission. Thats got to be a whopper of a shock load to make a CLUNK that loud, so loud you can feel it, and hear it half a block away.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Welcome Frankie. I have a 1200 LTD and it does it about 50% of the time now, technique plays a big part in learning to shift the 1200's. I can get 2nd and 3rd and OD every time now with no clunk, just as smooth as can be. Then there's 4th......... Fourth gear is like taking a dental drill to my own teeth with no Novocaine. I have only put 1000 miles on this bike since I have owned it (8500 before that) and there can't be much left of that 4th gear..... Just the nature of the beast. I'm running Honda oil right now, but on my next change I'm switching to Delo 400 to see if there is any improvement with that.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Site!!

As was said the GL1200 has a tendancy to be a bit "Clunky" when shifted into 1st gear and noticable even when shifting through the gears... There's a couple of things you can do to minimize it though. First change the clutch fluid to new DOT-4 and inspect the clutch lines for swelling when the clutch lever is depressed. If they swell, you'll need some new lines! Next check the clutch lever pin for wear. Either one of these conditions will prevent the clutch from fully disengaging and amplify the clunk you're experiancing. The other thing I would do is, if your not using it allready, try changing to a good full synthetic oil. Since I went to synthetic, I've noticed alot smoother shifting both, just putting her in 1st, and shifting while going up to speed!! She's still a bit loud when I put her in gear to pull her out of the garage for warm-up but she's good to go afterwards!!

In case you're wondering, I'm currentlyusing Mobile 1 V-Twin Full Synthetic 20-50w.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
In case you're wondering, I'm currentlyusing Mobile 1 V-Twin Full Synthetic 20-50w.
I wasn't. But thanks for sharing.:watching:

Seriously though.....The 1200 needs to be shifted "deliberately". Lazy clutch hands and shifter shoes are not well tolerated.

In case you're wondering, I'm currently using Honda grip 'n' go dino.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
roscoepc wrote:
In case you're wondering, I'm currently using Honda grip 'n' go dino.
Only you gl.:D:D:D:D:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

My 1200 clunks most of the time when shifting. I have found that putting a bit of pressure on the shifter in the direction of the next move helps a lot. It is a kind of fussy technique. It takes some practice and thought to remember to do it. The right combination of pressure, throttle and clutch will keep the transmission pretty quiet.

pressure - clutch/throttle - shift - throttle/clutch

I have an 1100 that clunks but not as bad. The pressure on the shifter helps there too and is a bit easier to do.

Lyle

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Preloading the shifter, and blipping the throttle just a bit, especially when downshifting does help, and I have occasionally managed a completely noiseless shift. But it seems random. The same technique that works sometimes does not work all the time. It is either a problem with the clutch or transmission, or just the way it was designed (I have already installed a SpeedBleader on the clutch, and bled 160z of DOT 4 through it, it seems to work fine) None of my other 5 bikes make this noise when being shifted while being ridden. Most bikes will make it when shifted from neutral to first while not moving, which is why I don't do it.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

How old is your oil? I don't have a 1200 just a tiny 1100, but I noticed it shifts alot better with new oil in it, Pre loading the shifter helps as does keeping the RPM'S in the higher range. Mine tends to crunch more if I shift less then 3k. I wouldn't use synthetic oil in an old bike unless you like fixng leaks.,,

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Welcome, WelcomeTo Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum.If you have any questions no matter how trivial they may seem this forum is the place to ask them. What I have noticed is that some of the people here were :15red:'sin their previous lives and can answer any question you have. Theforums that I get the most from are::

Goldwing Technical Forum

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

These have the best info aboutGoldwing’s and are where you ask questions and can get help..

For Sale/Wanted ForumGood stuff for Sale or if you have old parts sitting around the garage you would like to get rid of....

:18red::15red::12red::11red:

And when all you need is a good laugh to start your day try the:: Fun Forum After that it’s up to you which of the others you will like the best all I can do is suggest.

Again Welcome to the Forum...

Oh and did I mention everyone here loves pictures.. Show us some of yours... Even if it’s not a Goldwing just a pretty view

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.