Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If I start bike everyday it starts right up.When it sits for 3 or 4 days I use full choke and crank it over it will start but a lot of cranking.The bike runs fine starts great other than this it is a 87 Aspy

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts
imported post

Do you hear the fuel pump run for a second or two to prime the carbs when you turn the switch on?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Thank you Dave0430 for that reminder to allow the electric fuel pump the time it takes to build the fuel pressure before engaging the starter. I am guilty of this too often. I think especially if the fuel filter is in need of replacement.:thumbsup:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Do you hear the fuel pump run for a second or two to prime the carbs when you turn the switch on?
Dave I checked mine and as I thought the fuel pump doesn't run until it gets a signal from the ECU so the bike has to be cranking and firing to get the pump running.

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
Dave I checked mine and as I thought the fuel pump doesn't run until it gets a signal from the ECU so the bike has to be cranking and firing to get the pump running.
So do you have an answer for the man or do you just follow me around to disagree with my answers?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
So do you have an answer for the man or do you just follow me around to disagree with my answers?
No Dave I don't have the answer and as I've said before I agree with 99.9% of what you post.

All I'm saying is that listening for the fuel pump to run when the key is turned on would have 4winds chasing ghosts.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Can't speak to your bike, but when our vintage cars are hard to start it's usually because:

1. Gas has leaked or evaporated from the float bowl.

2. The spark plug wires or other ignition wiring have absorbed moisture from the air and don't deliver a strong spark. This can be compounded by a battery that leaks down over a few days. Add in a starter that has seen a lot of life and....

3. One or more hydraulic valve lifter has leaked down over a few days.

Do you park your bike outside or in a nice heated garage?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

The bike is stored inside.I have never heard the fuel pump run.I havent checked it.If it is the fuel pump why wouldnt it do it when it is warmed up.Im thinking carb is leaking but there is never any fuel laying around.So when I turn the key on I should hear the fuel punp

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

4 Winds, Ken Bergen is correct that the pump doesn't start to pump until the starter button is pushed.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

4winds,

I’m not convinced that there is much of anything wrong with your GL1200. They are cold-natured beasts by nature.

My ’87 GL1200A does pretty much the same thing. The longer it sits between engine runs, the longer it cranks before starting, even with the Battery Tender on it to make sure the battery is fresh and fuel stabilizer in the tank.

I did a near frame-off restoration on mine when I got it, including going through the carbs. Runs perfectly once warmed up. Runs fine when cold too, but the choke has to stay on for about the first 5 minutes of riding (unless you let it sit and warm up before you ride off). They are jetted pretty lean, so the choke has to stay on until the engine warms up enough to vaporize ALL the fuel coming in the main circuit properly. My previous ’84 Interstate was the exact same way when it was brand new.

Another point is that the severity of this symptom seems to be directly proportional to the ambient temperature. If it's 70 or 80 degrees outside, excissivecranking is not required. If it's 30 or 40, that's another story... more cranking time to fire.

Since my upgrade to an ’06 GL1800 last summer, I test this issue with my ’87 Aspencade even more these days since she has now been promoted to a show bike. I try to run her at least a couple times a month just so she doesn’t feel neglected.

If you want,you couldrun a few tanks of gas with some Seafoam, etc. through your bike. Actually, Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner has seemed to work better for me than Seafoam. Run a couple of tanks through your bike with that stuff in it and see anything changes. I'm guessing not, based on my observations above, but even if it doesn’t, it’s a good idea to do it once and a while anyway.

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts
imported post

The pump on the 1200 I have does come on for a couple seconds when I turn the switch on, just figured they were all like that, all the cars I know of with electric pumps work that way. If the system needs priming after replacing a filter or whatever I cycle the key a few times and it's ready to start without a long cranking time. The 1200 can sit for a week and start instantly.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

The temperature doesnt seem to matter for starting and I have ran seafoam through the fuel.I will try cycling the key off and on and see if that makes a difference.Its almost time to put it to bed for the season.We have been lucking out the last couple of weeks nice and warm

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

4winds wrote:
The temperature doesnt seem to matter for starting and I have ran seafoam through the fuel.I will try cycling the key off and on and see if that makes a difference.Its almost time to put it to bed for the season.We have been lucking out the last couple of weeks nice and warm
Cycling the key won't help as like I said before the fuel pump relay is powered by ignition pulses.

Possible causes could be weak battery or ignition system problems.
I have seen the crank/no start problem once but that was at -5C and with a boost the bike started instantly.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

You are right Ken just checked bike the fuel pump does not come on until you hit starter.I might check fuel filter but the bike runs fine after start up the battery is fully charged it just turns over for a while then comes to life and purrs. I will be putting it away on Sat so might have to wait until March Thanks for all the info

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Found out something interesting. Bike has sat for 2 weeks not started.It was plugged in to a battery tender and started right up.The battery always seemed good lots of power. So I will always keep tender on if sitting for long times

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

4winds wrote:
Found out something interesting. Bike has sat for 2 weeks not started.It was plugged in to a battery tender and started right up.The battery always seemed good lots of power. So I will always keep tender on if sitting for long times
A weak or partly discharged battery?
Have it load tested after its fully charged and sat disconnected from the bike and charger for a day and check for excess parasitic draw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.