Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I won't mention the gasket manufacturer/distributor unless I need to but I will say the gaskets I recieved/purchased were 2.032 bore diameterwhich is a huge issue on an interference engine with a bore of 2.96 WTF ?? :thumbsdown:

Anyone else have this problem?

Turning my 84' Gl1200 engine and Bamm hitting something, thinking I hit a valve or something serious..hours after diagnosing LH and RHit came to the head gaskets themselves. Am I seeing something I'm missing??

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

BTW I measured the OEM gaskets that were toast but I got close to a 2.96

:?Gasket manufacturer got great reviews :?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

By all means, mention the name... sounds a very familiar story... if it is who I think don't bother contacting them, just cut your losses and get the gaskets from mother honda.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,499 Posts
imported post

I think you should mention the brand,where you got them...and what kind of service you get when you take this issue to them. That may save some poor soul some heartache & headache.

My opinion of aftermarket is pretty dismal. I use OEM pretty much all the time just because I've been where you are now.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

They were from Saber cycle, the gasket manufacturer is barracuda. I'll be following there help desk ticket system, (no answer on there phone) wish me luck.

It turns out they sent me GL1000 gaskets, i entered a help desk ticket hopefully they'll send the correct ones ASAP :whip:

·
Steve
439 Posts
imported post

When I read this Saber Cycle was the first place that came to my mind!:thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Yep, sabre is what I thought... while they may deal with it and get you taken care of, don't be surprized if instead they insult you, degrade you, and tell you you don't know jack and have no business working on your own bike... they have done this exact thing to other members so often it's like it's become SOP... just sayin', prepare yourself

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Hope you get a fair solution from them, however chances are they will insult, cuss you out, and put you down, followed by your being banned form ever purchasing from them again for daring to question anything they do, say, or sell.

Happened to me and most others I have talked to in the past!

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Oh, it should also be mentioned that the other member who hada similarissue did get the "correct" gaskets and they still didn't fit right over the cooling jacket and alignment pins. So even you get it resolved, which is doubtful, the "right" parts may still not work.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

I also got hosed on head gaskets from Saber. Neither gasket sealed AT ALL to the block or head, had coolant pouring out of the gap. Told them their product was defective. I was insulted (didn't know how to work on my bike) and told my engine assembly was defective.....
Bought an OEM gasket from the local Honda shop and guess what....worked like a charm. I tried entering in a review of the product, and it's still being evaluated. Long shot of that review ever making it on the page.
I've gotten some stuff from them that seems like pretty decent stuff so I guess I got lulled into a false sense of security. I will have to be pretty hard up to ever do business with them again.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Go rub your knuckles over a cheese grater. It will be more pleasant than trying to get satisfaction from Saber Cycle. Just sayin.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

OMG!! DON'T SAY THEIR NAME!!

NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS.

I now need to pour Clorox in my eyes from reading this thread, to try and un-see it.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,499 Posts
imported post

Seems like RT is trying to work within Sabre's system, and in all fairness I suppose we should hope for the best.

Not that I'm defending Sabre in any way, but I don't think the trash talkin' will help our new member with his problem.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Not that I'm defending Sabre in any way,
Not that there's anything wrong with that........................:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

rttoy wrote:
I won't mention the gasket manufacturer/distributor unless I need to but I will say the gaskets I recieved/purchased were 2.032 bore diameterwhich is a huge issue on an interference engine with a bore of 2.96 WTF ?? :thumbsdown:

Anyone else have this problem?

Turning my 84' Gl1200 engine and Bamm hitting something, thinking I hit a valve or something serious..hours after diagnosing LH and RHit came to the head gaskets themselves. Am I seeing something I'm missing??
I'm still trying to figure out what possible application those headgaskets would have. A full inch smaller in diameter. They're not for any gl motor. Not even close! Do you really think this is a manufacturing mistake?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Same issues

I bought aftermarket head gaskets for my GL1200. I torqued the heads to 40 ft/lbs and the steel ring would not compress and the water jackets will never seal, even at 45 ft/lbs . Lesson learned, I will have to order OEM gaskets.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,508 Posts
an old thread, yes, but a continual problem for newbies to head gaskets.

never, ever, use anything except an OEM head gasket.

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
Sabre is just not EVER the place to buy. Pass the word to save others issues. Cheap junk and no service behind the sale..With all that said I have to add that I wonder why you would use a headgasket that is 2" bore (close) on a 3" bore (close) application. Did you write the numbers correctly? The new was 2.032 and the old was 2.96. That is almost 1 inch difference.

GL1000 is 72 mm (2.83")
GL1100 is 75mm (2.95")
GL1200 is 76mm (2.99")

Just realized it is an old post....Sorry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.