Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Iwant to replace my headlight bulb before it burns out. My question is can I use a brighter bulb and if so what should I use. I was told that a higher watt bulb would melt the housing or cover. Also I want to be sure the stator can keep up with it. Thanks in advance for any help. Tim

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hi Tim. The guys are right, higher wattage bulbs just toast the connector block and the stator might have problems keeping up. Why not do as many of us have, ie get the Phillips 30% brighter bulbs? They are still only 55/60 watts but are 30% brighter for no extra heat or power consumption.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the help. I put the Phillips bulb in today.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

tlc wrote:
Thanks for the help. I put the Phillips bulb in today.
Hey tic:waving:What is the part number for the bulb number please?

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

This is one of the reasons I love this Forum. I have the high wattage bulb in my 83 and getting ready for a 4000+ mile trip. I will change out my bulb before I leave. Thanks for the info.:clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

I found the Phillips bulb after going to several auto parts stores. It is the 9003Hi-Visibility and is shown as 30% more light. It has H-4 shown on the base . The packaging was a little different from the one shown above. Thanks.:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Dean, Thanks,:)

dean_3326

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Any time Dean:waving:

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

Also try: Sylvania 9003XV "XtraVision" headlight bulb - up to 30% brighter with the same wattage.

Works great in my '86 GL1200I

Later,
Nick

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

tlc wrote:
Iwant to replace my headlight bulb before it burns out. My question is can I use a brighter bulb and if so what should I use. I was told that a higher watt bulb would melt the housing or cover. Also I want to be sure the stator can keep up with it. Thanks in advance for any help.
Tim, as others have stated don't use a higher wattage as that would overload your wiring & ign switch.

You could try one of those "supposedly brighter" Halogen light bulbs but on any of the (independently run) test data I have viewed there really isn't that much performance difference.

What I did on my personal 1200 Wing was added a micro relay in the original light wiring & powered the headlight directly from the battery using that micro relay. That increased the light's operating voltage by close to .5 volts.

Twisty

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey NeedleNick :leprechaun: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.