Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Well I have decided to go the whole hog with my 1200 over Christmas. While I have the heads off to replace the gaskets, I will remove the valves and grind them in and put in new valve stem seals which will stop the smoking on start-up.
Thing is I have never grinded in valves before and more than one person has suggested that the GL1200 has hardened valves and seats (for running unleaded) and that they can't be ground in and need to be cut with a machine instead.
Has anyone out there managed to grind in the valves on their 1200 and if so can you tell me the way to go with this? Thanks once again.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Yes Redwing. I decided to get prepared this time, all the questions answered before I did the job. I'm off for 2 weeks over Christmas so once the turkey & pud are settled I will be able to get stuck into the job. Thanks to everyone for your continued help. :waving:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I'll probably do them by hand as I'm not experienced enough to trust myself with a drill. A car mechanic friend told me to do the lapping before I installed the stem seals so as to stop them getting damaged. Hadn't thought of that, we live and learn. Thanks for all the help once again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.