Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm posting this a bit late but long story short I ride an 04' Kawasaki Meanstreak my Dad rides a 87' GL1200 most of time except when it's in my garage being worked on. So He brought it down to me around thanksgiving to get some new tires mounted up and few minor things fixed. Then I decided to fix a few other things before giving it back at Christmas.

The bike had a few known trouble spots I knew that the stator wires were butchered up pretty bad, the radio had been malfunctioning, the rear shocks weren't holding air, it had the tale tale drip of oil from the water pump weap hole, and the rear brake pads were shot.

I striped all the body work off of the bike mounted and balanced the tires and then got started with the trouble shooting and repairs. I would recommend staying away from any SONY audio product the sony marine radio didn't even last a year. I learned a few things along the way, this is a long post with lots of pics thanks for reading.

So we will start with this pic of the bike striped down and a big old pile of parts beside it.

What's all in the pile of parts:

2" shorter vented windscreen from Cee Bailey's aircraft plastics.

Stainless braided Brake & clutch Lines from Spiegler performance

Rebuild parts for all 3 calipers

Fusion audio Marine radio

New OEM honda water pump & associated o-rings and gaskets

Gates T070 timing belts

New radiator hoses

Oil change kit

Progressive 416 shocks

Slash back 3" mufflers from Niche Cycle supply

New hand grips

Thats a pretty nice pile of parts!!

New avon Venom X on the front

New avon Venmon X on the back

As Said rear pads shot

Backend tore down

Some shoddy wiring I found near the steering neck one of the P.O.'s had for some reason cut the whole harness there at one point. I removed the but connectors soldered and heat shrunk the connections.

The stator wires had been badly butchered by one of the P.O.'s so I soldered in new 10ga wires from the stator pigtail to the main harness.

The Fusion audio marine radio in the dash I'm not finished with the baking plate in the pic but it will give you an idea of what it looks like in the dash. The radio features super slick iPod integration and mp3 thumb drive compatibility. It is also shallow enough to not stick out to far.

When I did the timing belts I had found that the timing belts had been changed before because the right side cam was nearly 2 teeth off and the left at least 1 tooth off. Take your time hear people but don't be intimidated the T-belts on a goldwing are a pice of cake to change.
Right side 2 teeth off

Left side also off a bit

Both pics where taken with T-1 lined up when I found out that the cam timing was off I was surprised at how well it had been running.

Lesions learned if you suspect you have a bad water pump or the oil drip from wrap hole order all the o-rings and trans cover gaskets together. If the you take the water pump cover off and the pump is good but you have the oil leak order everything you need to change the water pump except the water pump. If you have any reason to think that someone has messed with any of the wiring on the bike check all of the wiring you can get to remove any butt connectors you find. If you buy Niche cycle supplies exhaust rear section you will have to grind out the mounting ears a bit to get them to fit with out contacting the axel rod.

I did finish the bike on time and got it home for Christmas, It was a rush to get it done so I don't have any finished project pics yet. However the old man was very happy to get it back and even happier when he realized how much had been replaced or fixed. He was pleased with the sound of the Niche cycle exhaust and He love's the new radio it has big buttons that you can operate with a gloved hand. I will get a video of the bike running the new exhaust posted up soon, my brother is working on getting it to me.

Thanks again for reading,
Lee

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
imported post

Good job and some nice upgrades for your dad. Something else you might want to do soon that you didn't mention is replace the fork oil and final drive oil. These are typically overlooked maintenance items.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I did the forks last year and forgot to mention I did the final drive oil.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

I assume you inspected and lubed the final drive spline with Moly paste not grease while you had the tyre off but I see no mention of the drive-shaft and universal joint.
The splines on those can also fail if not properly lubricated.

BTW: Kudos to you for taking the time to keep your father in the saddle, all sons should be like you.:needahug:

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Nice job! Lucky father to have a son like you! :applause:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yup used moly paste on the drive splines.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

When I replaced my rear tire about 1K ago, I did not have the moly paste to lube is so I used disc brake grease that I had. Should I take it apart and relube while I have it down for the winter? I have it down now replacing the clutch. I need to make the tool that holds the clutch basket before I can finish it. Thanks

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Racerx wrote:
When I replaced my rear tire about 1K ago, I did not have the moly paste to lube is so I used disc brake grease that I had. Should I take it apart and relube while I have it down for the winter? I have it down now replacing the clutch. I need to make the tool that holds the clutch basket before I can finish it. Thanks
Yes!!!
That said I ran mine for 50k with what looked like axle grease before cleaning and lubing with Moly paste and once cleaned I could see no discernible wear.:?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The concern is that regular grease will sling out and leave the drive splines unprotected. Do you need to take it apart and change the lube right away I going to say no but if it you have the opportunity to do it while the bike is down for other maintenance do it.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Racerx wrote:
YES! Do it!

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
imported post

It sounded like the clutch may have been slipping a bit on the takeoff... or were you feathering the clutch lever?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

He was feathering clutch trying to get a good launch, if he had put more power on he would have got wheel spin.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

OK:

I am, "The old man."

I have topped the half century mark so the kid maybe has a point.

I am blessed.

First off he left a bit out of the story and I won't bore anyone with the whole thing, but I dropped the old wing off 600 miles from home--Cincinnati, Ohio--at his place in Virginia. I intended to pick it up with the new rubber installed next time I visit.

He drove home in a friends pickup for Christmas and imagine my surprise when around the 19th or 20th of December I opened up the door to my outbuilding garage and saw a Goldwing and trailer. It was hard not to notice the pipes. I came into the house and said, "I probably wasn't supposed to notice the Goldwing in my garage."

Since part of the surprise was blown, he tortured me by saying about once a day, "Dad I have to go check out something on your bike." Like a good Christmas sport I sat NOT looking out a window as I heard unfamiliar pipes putt down the street.

Venoms are great. The pipes tempt you to hotrod a bit. People who know wings look twice. The shocks raised the ride up a bit--nice--without a lot of air and it is just a tad more cold natured.

Next year he can surprise me with valve seals.

Old Man.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.