Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know how to OR if it is at all possible to disable the Safety start on a GL1200 Aspy.

I was riding along enjoying the ride this morning and noticed that the neutral light was not going on when in Neutral. I remember asking myself "Wonder if that's gonna give me a problem after work!" :brokedown:!

I recently rebuilt the engine, and remember that I had the gear sensor out several times because I could'nt get anything displayed on the dash - I remember disassembling the unit, cleaning and reassembling. I settled for 1st N 3 4 and OD second gear was never again displayed on the dash. I've done about 600 miles on the bike and this morning the gears felt more clunky than before and now no neutral green light and hence the no-start. I think the sensor is now U/S just got to find a way around the problem - Just got to get her home :letsplay:

Hopefully the parking is secure - appreciate any feedback.:bowing:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
It should still start with the clutch pulled in.
If not jumper the clutch switch it get it started and home.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm! Mine has never started with the clutch pulled in? Its always had to be in neutral with the green light on the dashboard. I have always assumed that this was a safety feature?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Hmm! Mine has never started with the clutch pulled in? Its always had to be in neutral with the green light on the dashboard. I have always assumed that this was a safety feature?
It would seem your clutch switch was fubared from the day you got it.

You could bump/push start the bike to get it home. It's not easy but I've been there done that.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Ken is right about the clutch switch. Yours is probably bad, you will need to bypass it by looping the wires at the switch so the engine will start.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Pull the rubber boot at the base of the clutch handle. See if either of the wires has popped off it's terminal. If they are connected you could still remove the wires and jumper them together to get the bike to start and get home just make sure you are in neutral first and fix the problem asap.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
i think you could just remove the right cover and use a screw driver to short the relay and it would crank right up? Ign on so it will start
MAKE 100% sure it is in neutral or on the center stand FIRST!

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
What Randy said should work ok except on the 1200 the starter solenoid is on the left side behind the battery.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
if your clutch switch is like mine you have to let clutch out a little for mc to crank

·
Registered
819 Posts
If I remember correctly, grounding the Red/Green wire on the 1200 Starter solenoid should bypass all the safty switches, The neutral switch and the the clutch handle switch.

Peter

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Argh! started to look at the starter solenoid, the plastic plug for the four spades just fell off in my hand!!!! now trying to work out what goes where.................%$#%$

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Peter, Thank you your memory serves you well grounding the Red/Green wire and she was up and running

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.