Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to install a Voltage Regulator/Rectifier on 1986 Aspencade 1200? I already have a replacement one just trying to find how to get to the factory one. What do you need to remove and in what sequence? I am getting 15vdc at 3000rpm and only 12.1vdc at idle. My battery runs down on long rides (2hrs or more). I went to the local GW club and several members that had 1200s previously suggested I start with a voltage reg replacement. Just would like help getting to it and changing it out. I took off the seat and battery and am not seeing it...Where do I start brothers??? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
It is under the false tank. Just in front of the fuse block. Unhook the battery unplug it and unbolt from frame.
Removing the false tank is a must, both side panels 2-10mm bolts, then 2 more bolts under neath the the plastic fillers below the handle bars and it should pull off.
You'll see it, then make sure you check all the connection particularly the 3 yellow wires connection.
Have you done the 3 yellow wire from the stator yet?
If that hasn't been done yet that is where I'd start.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
it sould be under the false tank but may not be your problem there are many tread on checking charging system do a search

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
regulator

since most likely you are measuring voltages at home and not on the road,it is possible that once on the road the connections on the stator plug,rectifier or the starter solenoid connector are heating up and so the battery is not being kept charged,check all these areas for poor or brunt wires or connectors

any chance you are running driving or foglights?

you might also want to check the water level on battery if you have a lead acid style battery

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I wonder if you really have a problem with the regulator. My 85 Aspy has about those numbers, 12 at idle and about 15 at 3000 rpm. Why do you say the battery runs down? Is it hard to start? Do you have to put a charger on it overnight to restart?

Two things come to mind. The starter needs to be removed and cleaned and possibly new brushes or the battery is shot. That 12.1 at idle is a little low making me think the battery has seen it's better days. Also when was the last time you checked the water level in the battery? Running a 15v would certainly boil the water out in a month or so. With any of the old 4 Cylinder GL's you should check and top up the water level in the battery every month during the riding season. Us ONLY distilled water. Very cheap at department and grocery stores. Like a dollar a gallon. I went to Dollar General and bought a $1 mustard and Ketchup squeeze bottles. I fill them with distilled water and use them to top up the battery. Very inexpensive and doesn't spill water all over the place.

NOTE: the regulators are very robust and rarely have I heard of one failing. So that is the last thing I'd worry about. When they do fail they usually put out no voltage or very little.. So you'd see about 11.5 at 3000 rpm or 18v at 3000 rpm with a bad regulator.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,528 Posts
As was said, check that battery out!! 15vdc will dry it out bigtime!! Also it doesn't sound like you have a regulator or stator problem as much as an overcharging problem and that's easy enough to check once you make sure you've got a good battery!!

What I would do is first mount a volt meter, a cheap multimeter will work, on the bike and ride her for say about 25-30 miles or so to give you a good idea of what the charging system is doing over a period of time. If the regulator has a diode going out, the charging voltage will drop during the ride due to it heating up. But if the voltage stay's around 15vdc, I'd say the problem is the black wire going to the regulator is not supplying an accurate voltage to the regulator. Here's how I would check it...

After locating the regulator and it's connector I'd cut the black wire about 1.5" from the connector on the system side of the connector. Next run a fused, (7.5amp will do), test wire from the positive side of the battery to the black wire from the regulator connector and twist them together. MAKE SURE THE CONNECTION IS CLEAR OF ANY GROUND POINTS!!! Tape over the twist connection just to make sure!!! Fire up the bike and see what the voltage is. I'd bet a dollar agin' a doughnut the idle voltage will higher, around 13.5 or so, and the voltage will be 14-14.5vdc @ 3000rpm.

If that's the case, let us know and I'll see if I can find a post glhonda made on this modification to install a relay in the black wire circuit!

Good luck with her and let us know what you find out!!

BTW, you need to remove the seat to get the fake tank fairing off.... :grin:

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
rectifier check

First off, is there a video out there that shows the removal of an LTD regulator/rectifier? I though mine was missing. Seems the PO mounted it inside the left lower fairing. I can see it from the larger open vent on the left side. That explains all the wiring mess up above. Hmmmmm........
Initial look doesn't show any burnt wiring but I will have to remove all the left lowers to expose the mess.
The way she sets now, with all the extra doo dads off, she still won't read over 13.3 on the volt meter, same with the battery post while she's running. 12.2 thereabouts at idle. Poked the yellows around the battery area with a setting of DC 20 and read 6.2 each wire so I gues the stator is putting out. The right side where the solonoid is looks like another mess, kinda globbled up.
Should I post some pics? BTW, I just picked up this beast.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
My profile pics is my other LTD purchased Dec 2011. The mech who has it said he had to replace the.....voltage suppressor? It was jumping between 12 and 14. Still haven't gotten it back to check it out. I reckon I will have to learn to do these things myself.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,528 Posts
"Voltage Suppressor"???? Get the bike back from him and we'll set up a time tomorrow via PM to talk about this! You have a PM....

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I would clean and service ALL electrical connections first.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
When my reg/rec failed the bike died from low voltage (10.5 IIRC) in about a half an hour. I suspect something else.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I am going there tomorrow to see whats going on with it. I never heard of a voltage suppressor. My contact is 9196002390. Sorry I didn't see the post. neoracer and I were talking on the phone and he mentioned if you were able to help. John

"Voltage Suppressor"???? Get the bike back from him and we'll set up a time tomorrow via PM to talk about this! You have a PM....

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
My 1200 was putting out almost 15v. I found not all of my running lights were lighting up due to a loose solder connection at the blinker switch. My dash lights were burned out and so was one of my cornering lights by the head light. After I fixed all that I now have 14.3v running down the road and 12.8 stopped with the brake lights on. One way to reduce the volts is to use them. 15v will boil your battery dry.

Here is some of what I did for what it's worth.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/483577-cleaned-ground-gl1200-starts-faster.html

I keep thinking about using some type of rheostat hooked up to some extra lights so I can just adjust the voltage. But the only ones I can find cost more than a new battery.

I'll just keep an eye on my battery acid level. I add acid to my battery not distiled water. 6 quarts for $13 or 1 quart for $5 at O-Reillys.

My last battery lasted 4 years. I added just over a quart to it over those 4 years besides the initial fill.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,671 Posts

I'll just keep an eye on my battery acid level. I add acid to my battery not distiled water. 6 quarts for $13 or 1 quart for $5 at O-Reillys.

My last battery lasted 4 years. I added just over a quart to it over those 4 years besides the initial fill.

??? I have always been told that you should only add distilled water to a battery. Normally the acid does not leave the cells UNLESS the battery has been grossly overcharged and boiling off.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
??? I have always been told that you should only add distilled water to a battery. Normally the acid does not leave the cells UNLESS the battery has been grossly overcharged and boiling off.

The book says to use distiled water.

I've had good luck with using the acid (technically electrolyte because it's acid and water) and I almost never put the battery tender on it over those 4 years.

I only get to ride once or twice a week.

:? Maybe I'm ruining the battery. :?

Would the battery last longer if I used distiled water to top it up instead of electrolyte?

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
How long should the battery last?

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,671 Posts
How long should the battery last?
That will depend on the initial condition of the battery.

And very important, any residual current drain with key off.

And battery recharge or top off, or run the bike occassionally.

GL1500s have a small amount of "keep alive" current used for the radio memory. That will in my experience cause a 'so-so' wet cell lead acid battery to drain enough to not start a 1500 in about 3-5 weeks. This depends on engine/carb/starter/battery condition at the time.

To avoid any issues like that, I always use a Battery Tender on my bikes and lawn tractor. That way, the battery is 13.2-13.4 ish and the engines start up like they should every time.

My next replacement will be a glass mat battery though, double to triple the life.

But, I should think you would get 4 or 5 years out of a wet cell. My wife's car is a 2007 Pontiac Vibe with the factory battery (7 years!!) .... I just looked and it needs a tiny bit of water, so tomorrow it gets distilled water...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.