Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been noticing an enriched gas smell of late, and finally the other day I was starting my scooter and after it startedI noticed a small puddle forming on the ground on the left hand side. (she was on the kickstand)

Looks like gas, smells like gas... sure enough... it's gas...

grabbed my handy dandy flashlight (it was 0430 and quite dark out) and it's spritzing out of the carb, on the right hand side on the front carb.

Am I correct in assuming that the front carbs are connected to the back carbs by a metal hardline instead of a rubber line??

I'm in the process of tearing her down (as I can, that pesky job keeps getting in the way...) and I'm getting ready to undo the intake manifolds and pull those carbs out...

The next question, if it is a hard line, does anyone have the spec for the correct o-ring for that?

I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and getting a Randakk kit, but I don't want to do a rebuild, just yet, as I'm missing enough of the riding season already...

Any help is, as always, appreciated.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Pretty much. The gas is spritzing out at the side of the carb, I can see it doing it... I just can't see clearly if it's a hard line or a soft line, even with an inspection mirror.

If it was a stuck float one would think that it would simply by flowing through the system. The flow is also dependent on how high the engine revs (more/less fuel pressure).

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

I believe that the fuel joint pipe is metal, the air joint and air vent pipes are ABS plastic. They are all rigid though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Welp - it looks indeed like it's going to need a rebuild.

It also looks like I'm going to be doing it myself as I've been told that a rebuild from the shop is gonna be right around $500.

Time to buy the Randakk kit and video I s'pose...

Now then - who has some experience with this kind of thing, lives even remotely close by and is open to a visit. I'll supply the beverages of your choice... heck, I'll even buy dinner.

Any takers?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

azdesertdad wrote:
...lives even remotely close by and is open to a visit. I'll supply the beverages of your choice... heck, I'll even buy dinner.

Any takers?
Heck, if'n you're buying, ...then I'm flying! :ROFL:

Not to keep you isolated, but you can handle them carbs. Slow and Steady. Organized. You know the deal, ..you can do it.

Got sync gauges of some sort?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I'd offer to help, but it would be more like the blind leading the blind. I never did get my carburated model working. I know Dennis (bike and dennis) has spent alot of time on his carbs recently:action:. He should at least be able to give ya some pointers.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
imported post

Yep good call On Dennis he has been recently working through some problems. If you get down to that point let me know I would like to observe or help and become a pest. Always good to watch someone that has some knowledge of this. Hell I can clean parts. I also have a bunch of goldwing 1200 parts including a complete engine and carb setup. Needs to be rebuilt but heck oh well.I live down in Oasis between San Tan valley and Florence.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
imported post

Heck, I just read this. Sure I'll help. Didn't I replace a speedo cable for you once?

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well... golly...

I think I figured out what the issue is...

I'm not terribly thrilled, but it's not the end of the world.

I'm getting a fuel leak from the air vent pipe tee... This really looks like it's going to be a stuck float.

At this point I'm going to pick up some sea foam and ride the snot out of it. See if that frees things up.

If that doesn't take care of things, at that point it's going to be time to pull those suckers and start rebuilding.

I'm not really looking forward to this, but at least now I've got an idea of what's going on and what I'm going to need to do about it.

Gaah.

I figure that if I do the rebuild, then I'm gonna go whole hog and get not only the Randakk kit, but also the diaphragms as well. I figure she's been good for 100k miles at this point (with no known carb issues) - I rebuild her right and she'll be good for another 100K easy.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
imported post

Thanks for that info Dennis..Mine are still good but it may be a good idea to get the parts and store them now before they are no longer available.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I was going to say a stuck float will let fuel out the carbs.. Its happen to me more then once.. Couple taps on the bowl and it stops.. only happens when it gets cold out though.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
imported post

You can repair leaking Carb floats... just gotta be really really careful when you do it... if you want details let me know...

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Percussive maintenance saves the day...

Using a wooden dowel and a rubber mallet, I gave both bowls on the right hand side a few good thwacks.

I ran a half can of seafoam through the tank as well.

The issue seems to be resolved - and thank goodness. I was not looking forward to spending my Thanksgiving weekend rebuilding my carbs.

Many thanks to all who helped. I'm back on two wheels, at least until something else breaks. :action:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

:applause:Like my grampa always used to say, "if all else fails, get a bigger hammer." :ROFL:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.