Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Since I have owned the bike (84 Interstate). When I ride it and then park it . There is a sound that emits from somewhere on the bike like small amounts of air releasing. You know like wheee sound that fades. Pretty nice Huh could not think of a way to correctly state the sound in Onomonopia form so you will have to take the Wheeeeee fading air deal as whats happening.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
325 Posts
imported post

Next time you hear this . . . . open the gas cap and see if it goes away quicker.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Okay I'll do that. Is there something I need to look for is it suppose to do that? I mean It's been doing it for three years now It does it maybe two or three times fairly quickly in succession then stops.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
imported post

That would be my guess to , gas cap or rad cap.. But if for three year then gas cap would be my guess
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Funny you say that but when I first heard it thats the first thing that came to mind( air brakes bleeding off). I just replaced the radiator cap I'll check the gas cap. I did notice the last time I opened the cap there was pressure in the tank.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
imported post

lol gingerbreadman
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Geez Gingerbreadman your avatar looks like a canamowing.:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
imported post

dont know what kind of vacuum system 1200 has, but maybe vacuum leak?
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,575 Posts
imported post

Mine did that for years. It was the vacuum supply for the cruise control, I think. I don't even remember when it quit doing it.

A seal on the gas cap could also be to blame or even the seal on the sending unit.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
imported post

I know i'm Geezing but i have never heard my bike to it !!!


Jim :ROFL:
 

·
Vintage Rider
Joined
·
2,410 Posts
imported post

I would say an intermittent vacuum leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
imported post

every now and then mine will do the same type of sound, it will last about two seconds and about three or four times then it will quit, and wont hear it for a few more rides. if i turn the key back on it will quit, i have checked and the only thing i can find is the fuel pump, it will also quit if i pinch the gas line closed, so i guess it would be the fuel pump,but it was just replaced 4 months ago, doesnt affect how it runs or rides, still have good power and still avg 44.4 mpg at 75mph, so i dont worry too much about it.
 

·
Junior Grue
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Mine did that for years. It was the vacuum supply for the cruise control, I think. I don't even remember when it quit doing it.

A seal on the gas cap could also be to blame or even the seal on the sending unit.
I've never heard of an Interstate with cruse control, must be an Arizona only option.:shock::ROFL:

Seriously it's your fuel cap. When you stop heat rises from the engine and guess where the fuel tank is. The cap is designed to hold a small amount of pressure and as the tank is heated at stop it vents, sometimes in short bursts.
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,575 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Mine did that for years. It was the vacuum supply for the cruise control, I think. I don't even remember when it quit doing it.

A seal on the gas cap could also be to blame or even the seal on the sending unit.
I've never heard of an Interstate with cruse control, must be an Arizona only option.:shock::ROFL:

Seriously it's your fuel cap. When you stop heat rises from the engine and guess where the fuel tank is. The cap is designed to hold a small amount of pressure and as the tank is heated at stop it vents, sometimes in short bursts.
Mine for sure had something to do with the cruise control vacuum supply as when I reached down and unplugged it, the song stopped.

My Interstate also has a tool tray and trunk mirror. And if you've never heard of an Interstate with cruise control, maybe you should try listening more.
 

·
Junior Grue
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Mine for sure had something to do with the cruise control vacuum supply as when I reached down and unplugged it, the song stopped.

My Interstate also has a tool tray and trunk mirror. And if you've never heard of an Interstate with cruise control, maybe you should try listening more.
Hum, I might have been dreaming but I thought I remembered you saying that the start of your carburetor problems was your AFTER MARKET cruise control wearing the throttle shaft on one of your carburetors.:?


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem on my '78 gl1000. Turned out it was the turbo boost relief valve. I can't speak to the 1200 though. (we're no longer on terms)

It's the fuel cap. It's the fuel cap.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
imported post

glhonda lmao
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

No No compressor. After listening to the reply's here I am thinking that it is the gas cap It has been hot here and I took it out the last time it was around 108 and I rode it for 40 miles or so just to check everything after my repairs and upgrades. I did notice when I took the cap off before I put gas in it did have some pressure build up. My Cruise control is nothing more then that throttle lock deal.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top