Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
The rich smell didnt start till after I synced the carbs. And I know all about old school bikes and cars with out injection and convertors. I've always had older bikes and cars. Just havent had one yet that I've had this much trouble tuning. But I have always had a weakness for classics.
Back to leaky vac line(s)
Someone balanced the carbs to make it run good with the leaks, you changed it and the problem resurfaced.
Rubber and AGE produces leaks. (pun intended)
:D

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Honestly didnt know that? I was told these motors should be crusied around 2500 and maxed at about 5000k.
So in your opinion what rpm does these motor most like to ran? 3500-6000?
My old suzuki 750 ran best at 4500 but started making real power at 6000 and maxed at 10k.
I just now finished reading your post on the 12/1500 differences.
The 1200 is a high rpm monster. Take it out by yourself, lay it in 3rd gear, run it up to 5,000, AND THEN crack the throttle.
It runs freeway speeds of 70+ in the high 3 grand range. It does not like to be lugged. Everything about the 1200 screams 3,000. That's when it starts to develop power, that's when the charging system really kicks in, the water pump is up to speed and cross my heart, that's were it runs the best.
I truly think that you may be better suited to the 1500. It has better low end torque. Makes power more smoothly at lower rpm.
Take your 1200 out and drive it at 3-3,500 rpm and let us know how many drive complaints you experience.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If only I had the money ;)
I honestly like the looks of the gl1200. And agree for smooth touring the 1500 sounds better. But now I'll try and run it 3000 plus and see what happens. I do ride it solo to work daily and I have opened it up a few times. Yes above 3500 it starts pulling strong.
Does any one have a link to show the power band of the gl1200?

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
TOTTALY WRONG. !!
The boxer 2 or 4 or 6 or even 8 all run at any RPM'S smooth.
There is a fundamental problem that's not found.
Only pure racing engines needs to be well UP in RPM's to produce smoothness and power.
I rebuilt car, bike and truck engines in my day and know if there's even the slightest of vac leaks, the carbs will not smooth out the RPM's.
Notice I said carb(S)... plural. A single carb will compensate a few problems.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
TOTTALY WRONG. !!
The boxer 2 or 4 or 6 or even 8 all run at any RPM'S smooth.
There is a fundamental problem that's not found.
Only pure racing engines needs to be well UP in RPM's to produce smoothness and power.
I rebuilt car, bike and truck engines in my day and know if there's even the slightest of vac leaks, the carbs will not smooth out the RPM's.
Notice I said carb(S)... plural. A single carb will compensate a few problems.
Once I get I another day off, I'm just going to pull the carbs and see if there are any broken lines, dirty carbs etc.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Ron, Just to clarify a couple points for you.

"Slide Trick" there was/is a Tech bulletin around that addresses a driveability concern in the mid-range. Mid-Range being above idle but less than full throttle. Essentially you are adjusting the air/fuel mixture a very small amount by raising the needles in the slides.

When I reference 3.5 - 360 degree turns I am saying I turned my Idle Air screws out from seated Three and a half (3.5) complete revolutions (360 degrees) as a starting point. to not confuse the issue I wont discuss the other option, just trying to say clearly how I set mine.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.