Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All was well, and without a warning when I press the starter now… NOTHING! Everything lights up like it should, but no starter… nothing????

HELP!!

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
Yep it did start or, yep still no crank?? Take a test light and check the 2 wires at the back of the starter selinoid connector to see if you've got power coming to one of them when you hit the starter switch. One is hot when you push the button and the other is a ground...

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Kick stand down in gear??

Kill switch off or bad??

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,320 Posts
Try spraying some WD-40 into the starter switch/button.
Open the housing enough to really get some of the cleaner into the switch, and spray away. Wrap it in rags to keep the overspray at bay.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Same thing a couple days ago. Reverse lever wasnt seated all the way.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Not starting. I'll check the the starter selinoid next.
The headlight should turn off in the start mode. If it doesn't, you have a bad switch. Then go to the solenoid and check for power.
Lemee see if I can get this right. Y/R with the key on and the button pushed should give you 12volts.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Same thing a couple days ago. Reverse lever wasnt seated all the way.
I too thought he had a 1500...... I read it on my phone, and thought it said "96"...... It's an 86....... 1200,....... No reverse..... No kick stand switch either.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Try spraying some WD-40 into the starter switch/button.
Open the housing enough to really get some of the cleaner into the switch, and spray away. Wrap it in rags to keep the overspray at bay.
Better to use contact cleaner than WD40 on switch gear, contact cleaner will clean and then evaporate, where as WD40 will leave a film that will attract dirt and dust which will long term wear the component. Same reason that WD40 should never be used on locks, graphite powder should be used on them. :bow:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Sounds kill switch or starter switch related. I'd pull those right side controls apart and have a root around...

·
Registered
4 Posts
All was well, and without a warning when I press the starter now… NOTHING! Everything lights up like it should, but no starter… nothing????

HELP!!
I had the same thing happen. Turns out it was the starter. The plate that holds the brushes in place was no longer grounded to the starter housing. Take the starter apart and clean the housing, end-cap, etc. and reassemble. Make sure the long threaded rods are TIGHT and give it a go. Total cost......$0.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.